The Chainlink

Late at night as I was crossing on the north side of the Lake street bridge, two young punks, one with a gun, tried to pull me off of my bicycle.

I was aware of something amiss before they approached and managed to quickly turn around and head the other way to call the police.

Views: 2687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No one has asked the obvious question. Did you report it to the police & what did they look like?  These "urban youths" have been reported on the news.Yes, the police would take a great interest in the report as the attacker had a gun & this was traditional "urban mugging" & not a parked bike theft.

?? He said he called police right in the first post.

El Dorado said:

No one has asked the obvious question. Did you report it to the police & what did they look like?  These "urban youths" have been reported on the news.Yes, the police would take a great interest in the report as the attacker had a gun & this was traditional "urban mugging" & not a parked bike theft.

Glad you're o.k. Juan 2-8 mi.

What time is late. (ex. 11:30pm). If can give a general description of them also would be helpful.

11:00pm abouts.

A description is not neccessary since it would come off as racist and stereotypical. My only hope is that the rest of the riders and pedestrians out there be careful of their surroundings. I am thankful that many of you are glad that I am OK. My heart always jumps out of my chest whenever a gun is pointed at me, it is a big concern to me that no one else has to experience a situation like this.

This is why it is good to ride with other cyclists if possible. Always carry pepper spray and have it ready to use so they don't take it and spray you with it. This won't help against a gun.

Yipes. Thank goodness you are OK, Juan. Thanks for posting in such great detail to warn others - much appreciated!

Don't know about stats but I was attacked on the Blue Line between UIC Halstead and Racine last Friday night around 9. Essentially had to wrestle my bike out of the guy's hands until he fled off the train at Ravine. Consensus of FB friends (where I 1st reported it) was that without a crime CPD wouldn't respond even to a "next day" report - they didn't.

Sorry to hear-- glad you're safe and still have your bike!

But glad to know it happened... I have wished for years that there was a site to record attacks on cyclists, but don't have the ability to set it up myself.

globalguy said:

Don't know about stats but I was attacked on the Blue Line between UIC Halstead and Racine last Friday night around 9. Essentially had to wrestle my bike out of the guy's hands until he fled off the train at Ravine. Consensus of FB friends (where I 1st reported it) was that without a crime CPD wouldn't respond even to a "next day" report - they didn't.

I wonder if there is a safe and/or practicle way to secure one's self to one's bike? That shure would thwart a potential bikejacker. Let's face it, cops are basically worthless.

Another weekend way after this happened, I noticed some rustling about by some suspicious characters at the same location. I went and told a police officer that was on duty during the Wells bridge reconstruction and he just said OK and rolled up his window...

Douglas Iverson said:

I wonder if there is a safe and/or practicle way to secure one's self to one's bike? That shure would thwart a potential bikejacker. Let's face it, cops are basically worthless.

Wait...when did this happen? I was assuming last night, but now I'm noticing snow in the photos.

Juan 2-8 mi. said:

Another weekend way after this happened, I noticed some rustling about by some suspicious characters at the same location. I went and told a police officer that was on duty during the Wells bridge reconstruction and he just said OK and rolled up his window...

Douglas Iverson said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service