The Chainlink

I have been parking in this spot since 2009, but never came out to see this:

I'm pretty sure the culprit is one of the large umbrellas used by the coffee shop at the corner, based on the scrapes with gray paint near my bike and big rubber mark on the umbrella.  Plus the fact two employees said it hit my bike while the manager swears it didn't.

Assuming the frame's not damaged that's at least a new wheel, fork, crank, rings and chain.  I know I'm lucky that this didn't happen in a crash and it's only money, but the adrenaline and anger is still running through me.

Views: 1992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

dang, sorry to see that.

Very sorry. Hard to imagine how an umbrella could have inflicted that much damage.

Am i the only one who thinks the thread title is somewhat inappropriate? We are mourning the loss of a bicyclist's life who was killed by a motorist.
The damage to your bike is not the same. it s just an object that can replaced.

I understand you may feel frustated about what happened, but may I suggest you update the thread title?

Probably, but I can see it.

Assuming you're downtown... shouldn't there be at least one security camera on the spot?

Yeah, that happened to my bike once, and it took two very angry guys a good amount of jumping up and down on it for that to happen. there's just no way that that kind of damage occurred because of an umbrella. good luck though, and sorry for the damage.

All that with an umbrella?! Holy chow!

I can't imagine an umbrella inflicting that much damage.  Looks like an unsuccessful theft attempt.

The culprit would have to be something big enough to damage your crank and front wheel in one blow.  The umbrella is a logical suspect.

Good idea Duppie. Very considerate. When I read this suggestion I was all like, "what is the problem?" but then I remembered the previous title and noticed that it had already been changed swapping in the word "broke" for "killed". Thanks for doing that Tricolor (or perhaps some admin?). It is more accurate anyway as the bike can be fixed.   

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Am i the only one who thinks the thread title is somewhat inappropriate? We are mourning the loss of a bicyclist's life who was killed by a motorist.
The damage to your bike is not the same. it s just an object that can replaced.

I understand you may feel frustated about what happened, but may I suggest you update the thread title?

The bases of those umbrellas are pretty heavy and since the umbrellas are tall, if one tipped over (due to wind) and landed on the bike, the base and pole could easily hit the bike and inflict a good amount of damage.  Not saying it is definitive, but I can see how a large umbrella would cause such damage. 

Kevin C said:

Very sorry. Hard to imagine how an umbrella could have inflicted that much damage.

I've seen the kind of damage that can be inflicted by a heavy object flung by intense wind gusts (like those we've had in recent days). It's absolutely believable that one of those huge cafe umbrellas (especially the weighted base) could cause this kind of damage.

Liz said:

The bases of those umbrellas are pretty heavy and since the umbrellas are tall, if one tipped over (due to wind) and landed on the bike, the base and pole could easily hit the bike and inflict a good amount of damage.  Not saying it is definitive, but I can see how a large umbrella would cause such damage. 

Kevin C said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service