The Chainlink

Planning thread for Friday August 28th Chicago Critical Mass.
Primary pending proposal is to finally run the updated "Bubble" route, held over from June.
That one ends at 31st street beach. Details to be posted later.

Views: 59

Replies to This Discussion

(see GoogleMaps version)
Updated flyer (reduced), 15-19 miles, river/island/lake water themed, visually simplified, possible 3up. First hand feedback wanted on NW and S segments. Distance and LFP OK now?
To add to the water theme and making the route slightly longer, There is a brand new bridge for cyclists and trains that connects goose island from the north (It used to be a bridge just for trains). photo i
Please confirm the exact spot. Off North Ave? So could do Division W, then jog Clybourn NW, to North Ave W, to new bridge S? Then on-island gotta steer mass W back onto Division. Its an idea. Adds 4 turns, slightly narrower, same number of bridges, but adds distance, change of scenery, and breaks up long Division stretch. Maybe an off-map splinter-pack can take that long-cut. Opinions?

Dubi Kaufmann said:
To add to the water theme and making the route slightly longer, There is a brand new bridge for cyclists and trains that connects goose island from the north (It used to be a bridge just for trains). photo i
1K words.

Andrew Bedno said:
Please confirm the exact spot. Off North Ave? So could do Division W, then jog Clybourn NW, to North Ave W, to new bridge S? Then on-island gotta steer mass W back onto Division. Its an idea. Adds 4 turns, slightly narrower, same number of bridges, but adds distance, change of scenery, and breaks up long Division stretch. Maybe an off-map splinter-pack can take that long-cut. Opinions?

Dubi Kaufmann said:
REV 3 FLYER, adds a half mile and two turns to cross Goose Island more interestingly.
REDUCED version below. I'm getting pretty happy with it. Feedback?

View in GoogleMaps
Is the bridge on the western side of Goose Island on Division fixed? I know they were working on it earlier this summer.

This does look like a good route. I am going to have to check out the Chery street bridge, it looks interesting from the photos.
PRE-RIDE proposed. Tuesday anyone?
RSVP, details here:
http://facebook.com/event.php?eid=142724254679
Great route. But instead of ending at 31st/LFP, why not head back up north on michigan ave. towards daley plaza? Just a thought.
Might not be a bad idea to go farther south on Halsted after coming off 31st, just because riding more than two blocks along King Drive would be pretty nice.

I'm skeptical that this ride will actually come off after what happened the last time the map indicated it was heading south, though, so it may not make a difference.
I did a little recon today.

Since today will be the last day I can ride for some time I went to the new Cherry street bridge. It may prove tricky with a large group. Right off of north avenue, it splits into two sidewalks with about a fifteen foot long (4-5 meters) section of fist-sized rocks in between the sidewalks. the bridge itself is not a problem, but once you get to the south end of the bridge you have to make a quick choice. If you go right, you will be on a very narrow sidewalk that will eventually lead to an opening onto Cherry street. If you go Left, you will go thru an area of rough gravel. Not a problem for my bike, but could be troublesome for folks with skinny tires.

the gravel part is wider and leads to a parking lot that opens out on to Cherry street.

This bridge would not pose any problems for a smaller group, but with a summertime CCM it will slow things down quite a bit.

It is not an insurmountable obstacle, but just be mindful of the hazards.
The train tracks run down the middle of Cherry street on Goose Island. and there are some grooves that tires can fall into. The bridge on the Western end of Goose Island on Division is repaired and can handle the traffic.

I may not make it to this ride because of my surgery tomorrow, so, good luck and I hope everyone has a good time!
REV 4 FLYER (d), removes kingsbury/cherry tip due to conditions (sorry Dubi, thanx Cliff).
Also diverts off Division immediately after island at Elston to stay closer to river, avoid highway and Polish triangle, and shorten Division stretch (thanx TC). REDUCED version below. I'm getting pretty happy with it.
Feedback still strongly solicited on specific southern tweaks.

PRE-RIDE proposed (and partials sought), as late as Thursday depending on availabilities:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=142724254679

View in GoogleMaps
PRE-RIDE planned Wednesday 7:30pm from D'Agostinos River West, 752 N Ogden (Chicago/Elston)
Hydrate+chow, then ride route remainder south to 31st beach, under 12 miles.
South of UIC is least familiar to me (never seen bubbly creek), so what I most want to confirm.
Then north past NavyPier home to Foster for me. Chance of rain. PLEASE for safety I don't want to pre-ride this alone.

http://thechainlink.org/events/water-mass-preride

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service