The Chainlink

"Willens Law Office Unveils First Real-Time Bike Accident Map"

Sacramento Bee apparently among the first to run with this press release...

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/31/5611430/willens-law-offices-unveil...

My internet is barely functional here at work at the moment so I can't check this out, but I'm interested to hear others' opinions.

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's it. I'm moving to Naperville. Clearly the suburbs are a safer place to ride your bike.

Rich S said:

If you zoom out far enough it looks like it isn't safe to ride anywhere in Chicago!

I wondered where the data came from and by clicking credits it looks like Chicago Police reports are the source. The data isn't very descriptive.  Just a list of incident dates, times, and a few other factors like vehicle direction and whether a traffic control device was present. You can view the incidents on a map that has a point for each incident rather than the heat map. There are 3 reports actually submitted to the law office all from today. 

Duppie 13.5185km said:

It looks like LSD is much safer than the LFT. I've putting putting myself in danger unnecessary all these years!

I shall try LSD on my way home tonight. Too bad it doesn't show which lane is safest.

Real-time?

First?

Neither. 

Mine and Gin's Close Calls website is still around.

Not sure you have enough spandex for that, Duppie...

Naperville only looks safe because I don't bother to report my accidents or near misses.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

That's it. I'm moving to Naperville. Clearly the suburbs are a safer place to ride your bike.

Rich S said:

If you zoom out far enough it looks like it isn't safe to ride anywhere in Chicago!

I wondered where the data came from and by clicking credits it looks like Chicago Police reports are the source. The data isn't very descriptive.  Just a list of incident dates, times, and a few other factors like vehicle direction and whether a traffic control device was present. You can view the incidents on a map that has a point for each incident rather than the heat map. There are 3 reports actually submitted to the law office all from today. 

Duppie 13.5185km said:

It looks like LSD is much safer than the LFT. I've putting putting myself in danger unnecessary all these years!

I shall try LSD on my way home tonight. Too bad it doesn't show which lane is safest.

That and people ride around with picnic baskets attached to the front of their bikes, which function as ad hoc air bags.

Dann B (5.25 mi/8.75 mi) said:

Naperville only looks safe because I don't bother to report my accidents or near misses.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Rich S said:

Duppie 13.5185km said:

It's true, and the looks I got last night were totally worth it.

Tony Adams 7 mi said:

That and people ride around with picnic baskets attached to the front of their bikes, which function as ad hoc air bags.

Dann B (5.25 mi/8.75 mi) said:

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Rich S said:

Duppie 13.5185km said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service