The Chainlink

As an injured runner this will be my first time biking in the cold. I am interested in what my fellow Chicagoans are wearing to keep warm.
I bike (single speed Scattante) for fitness about 60+ miles a week. Any cold weather tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Views: 472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

mindfrieze said:
Fingers, toes, and ears are where I'm most affected by cold. Regarding fingers, if you don't worry about shifting gears too much, try out a pair of snow mitts. They've kept my digits toasty down through -18°F (before windchill) while on the bike.

BEFORE windchill!? I'm a hardy rider but I usually call it quits and cta it in the low single digits and below zero. I'm sure there are some newer lighter/ warmer clothing options but I wear a t-shirt, hoodie and a Gore Tex thinsulate liner and I'm usually hot under that.
For my fingers, I've gotten the best results from my Pearl Izumi lobster gloves; kind of like split mittens . Gives you more flexibility for shifting and braking, plus the warmth of mittens.

mindfrieze said:
Fingers, toes, and ears are where I'm most affected by cold. Regarding fingers, if you don't worry about shifting gears too much, try out a pair of snow mitts. They've kept my digits toasty down through -18°F (before windchill) while on the bike.
Lots of great advice here.

Another thing I might add is I carry probably 3 or 4 Belaclavas and switch them out as they get wet from persperation throughout the day.

Thank you-thank you- thank you to Willow for all the Bikewinter Balaclavas!!!!

Also, try to attend a bike winter event coming up and you'll get a lot of info.
I find them insufficient below 25-ish. At that point I shift to mittens: One pair felted wool, one pair wind/rain protecting mittens. Once it gets below 10-ish I'll add an another pair of glove liners

Yet in all my winter riding I've never worn a balaclava. those things are way too hot for me.

I guess what I'm saying: There is lots of good advice here, but since everybody perceives cold a little different, only you can figure out what is comfortable for you. That takes a little trial and (unfortunately) error

JeffB said:
For my fingers, I've gotten the best results from my Pearl Izumi lobster gloves; kind of like split mittens . Gives you more flexibility for shifting and braking, plus the warmth of mittens.
mindfrieze said:
Fingers and face aside, I used to get really icy toes on my bike...until I started wearing SMARTWOOL SKIING/SNOWBOARDING SOCKS November through March. I really love those things. They're knee-high and extra thick & padded for winter sports..cold toes no more. I can't believe I spent all those miserable winters wearing cotton socks freezing my toes off!

I also discovered the wonders of facial creams for cold weather riding. My cheeks would often burn and turn red from all the wind, but an extra layer of protective oils before & after every ride helps a lot.

Frankly I don't like the tightness of a balaclava and didn't wear mine more than once or twice last winter, but I usually wear hoodies under my helmet and have a windproof winter jacket that zips up to my nose.

I mostly stayed warm and snug while I rode. Thinking about getting either wool tights or windproof pants for this winter, for warmer thighs.
Some people call them pogies, some call them moose mitts, or overmitts, but they are the solution for cold hands. I got a relatively cheap pair from Cabela's last year and loved them. Wear a thin glove on even the coldest days, stick your hands into the overmitts and you'll be toasty warm with no loss of dexterity and no bulkiness. One legitimate complaint I've heard is that you'll end up signaling less because frequent slipping hands in and out of the pogies is not convenient. I found that to be true.

http://www.icebike.org/Clothing/handprotection.htm
Duppie has it right on. Be patient with your own learning curve. Sift through the advice and give it a try. As you are starting off, there will be moments of discomfort--too cold, too warm, too salty in the wind abraded eyes. Just know that you will figure out something that works for you through trial and error. Patience and pluck help too.

Duppie said:
I find them insufficient below 25-ish. At that point I shift to mittens: One pair felted wool, one pair wind/rain protecting mittens. Once it gets below 10-ish I'll add an another pair of glove liners

Yet in all my winter riding I've never worn a balaclava. those things are way too hot for me.

I guess what I'm saying: There is lots of good advice here, but since everybody perceives cold a little different, only you can figure out what is comfortable for you. That takes a little trial and (unfortunately) error

JeffB said:
mindfrieze said:
I also recommend a good pair of anti-fog goggles.
I prefer liquid long johns.

MALORT!

notoriousDUG said:
I prefer liquid long johns.

Goggles can be pretty great. I got a pair last year and felt completely insulated on days that were less than 20 degrees. It felt pretty luxurious, though for most days it's overkill.

One thing to note in regards to Winter Biking is that most days aren't really all that cold. Check out this page on bike winter: http://bikewinter.org/tipsAndResources/chicagowinterweather.php

Most days really aren't that bad...there will be some doozies, but as long as you don't let your bike go into hibernation, you can still bike the not so horrible days.

Rico said:
I also recommend a good pair of anti-fog goggles.
I heartily agree. Wool is definitely the way to go for base- it is warm, and continues to be so even after it's soaked in sweat. I wear wool socks, wool liner gloves, a wool long sleeve shirt and wool knickers over my wool tights. I layer some cotton and a windproof layer above that, but the wool is my go to fabric choice for winter clothes that touch my skin.

Joe TV said:
I swear by a merino wool base layer - and my favorite piece of winter gear of all is this dainty little number: http://www.rapha.cc/winter-collar/

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service