The Chainlink

"With all the stolen bike posts lately (and no one thinking "I wonder if there's something under Useful Links for this."), I think it's well past time to make a sticky about the Stolen Bike Registry"

 - Tank-Ridin' Ryan

 

Well said Ryan.

 

 

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/

 

Done and done.

 

And sticky too.

 

 

Cheers - Lee Diamond

Views: 17637

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

do this WHEN your bike gets stolen? ouch, such unnecessary pessimism :)
The stolen bike registry is a great site but I get so frustrated how generic the definition for type of lock is. Newer U-Lock with flat key means absolutely nothing to me. There is a big difference between the $30 Kryptonite hook-end U-lock and a $90 New York Kryptonite U-lock. I really wish they would update the exact specific type of lock variable to accommodate every type on the market with a fill-in-the-blank option :(

And yes, I have emailed them about it.
Hey everyone,

I just started a Chicago stolen bikes Twitter feed. We need to get bicyclists to follow the feed so that in the event a bike is stolen, the word can get out ASAP to everyone and eyes can be immediately peeled.

follow "chistolenbikes" or just tweet @chistolenbikes

Finally, a useful purpose for Twitter!
Good idea!

Earlier today I wrote an email to Craigslist suggestions asking them to add a link to the stolen bike registry on the bike classifieds page. They have a link to Active Trans (well, to the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation at biketraffic.org, which should still redirect to Active Trans) so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Peter Muller said:
Hey everyone,

I just started a Chicago stolen bikes Twitter feed. We need to get bicyclists to follow the feed so that in the event a bike is stolen, the word can get out ASAP to everyone and eyes can be immediately peeled.

follow "chistolenbikes" or just tweet @chistolenbikes

Finally, a useful purpose for Twitter!
I have asked several times but I appreciate the help.
I used to write to Craig to ask for a bike forum and he would reply "there's no need."
Story goes he was dating a girl who was into bikes and that's the only reason he broke it out.

heather stratton said:
Good idea!

Earlier today I wrote an email to Craigslist suggestions asking them to add a link to the stolen bike registry on the bike classifieds page. They have a link to Active Trans (well, to the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation at biketraffic.org, which should still redirect to Active Trans) so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Peter Muller said:
Hey everyone,

I just started a Chicago stolen bikes Twitter feed. We need to get bicyclists to follow the feed so that in the event a bike is stolen, the word can get out ASAP to everyone and eyes can be immediately peeled.

follow "chistolenbikes" or just tweet @chistolenbikes

Finally, a useful purpose for Twitter!
Shit damn fuck. We had our first bike stolen today less than 30 min. after returning from BTD; and it was stolen from our garage. It is a Dolce Elite, white with clipless pedals, black seat and black bar tape (non standard)

Did you go to the Maxwell St Market this morning and try to find it???
It was stolen around 12:30 today Peter.

Peter Muller said:
Did you go to the Maxwell St Market this morning and try to find it???
Not to sound dumb, but what are the details on Maxwell Street Market? I have *heard* a bit about it. . . . but know no real information. Is it on tomorrow? Today?

Peter Muller said:
Did you go to the Maxwell St Market this morning and try to find it???
Seeing as how I asked Lee to create this thread to alert people to the Stolen Bike Registry, I really hope you've submitted a report there.

Marty A. said:
Shit damn fuck. We had our first bike stolen today less than 30 min. after returning from BTD; and it was stolen from our garage. It is a Dolce Elite, white with clipless pedals, black seat and black bar tape (non standard)

It's on every Sunday though no longer on Maxwell Street. Currently its being held on Des Plaines between Harrison and Roosevelt.

Marty A. said:
Not to sound dumb, but what are the details on Maxwell Street Market? I have *heard* a bit about it. . . . but know no real information. Is it on tomorrow? Today?

Peter Muller said:
Did you go to the Maxwell St Market this morning and try to find it???
He did. Right at top.

For now.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Seeing as how I asked Lee to create this thread to alert people to the Stolen Bike Registry, I really hope you've submitted a report there.

Marty A. said:
Shit damn fuck. We had our first bike stolen today less than 30 min. after returning from BTD; and it was stolen from our garage. It is a Dolce Elite, white with clipless pedals, black seat and black bar tape (non standard)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2008-2013   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C. Julie Hochstadter, Director   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service