The Chainlink

Wondering about your thoughts on this sentiment/admonition I've gotten for years from my non-riding friends and colleagues. I want to think most of them are trying to be nice, but the implication is that either they perceive cycling as unsafe, or that I won't "ride safe" unless they tell me to, or that cycling is this dangerous thing, when, in fact, driving puts them at a higher risk (I mean, no one really says "Drive safe!" as a parting greeting...). The other idea is that maybe it's a good thing, that they are acknowledging that I get around in a different way than they do. And, maybe it's nothing, but it strikes me as odd sometimes. 

Views: 2571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I say both "ride safe" and "drive safe".  Especially when leaving a party when its late and/or there has been drinking.

I don't know what kinds of people say this to you.  Some may indeed think that cycling in the city is crazy.  In that case give them your pity.

In general though, I interpret this statement as a combination of your second line of reasoning and a word of caution about how there are many aspects of riding that are out of your hands, so its best to err on the side of caution.  

On the contrary, I think that the first line of reasoning would mean that saying "take care" implies that the other is clumsy and would not be careful otherwise.  Similar implications arise from "have a safe flight", "take care of yourself", "take it easy", etc...

Also, how do you know that "in fact, driving puts them at a higher risk"?  I have no empirical evidence but I would be inclined to say that cycling in chicago is more risky than driving in chicago.

People do say drive safe.

All people are doing when they say 'ride safe,' is wishing you a safe trip; stop over thinking a simple sentiment wishing for your continued safety.

I say both "drive safe" and "ride safe" to people all the time and my only intent is to wish them safe travel.

But "have a nice day"? Barf.

:)

Clint H said:

Your suspicions are well-founded. All people are always making subtle, passive-aggressive digs at your mode of travel. They probably hate you. I would take great offense at this insult disguised in the form of innocuous social pleasantry. You should punch them.

OK, maybe I didn't set this up well, but I do get a twitchy feeling when it comes as an admonition, only directed to me (not to anyone who is driving) and in a certain tone. From fellow riders, the feeling is totally different, and I've  been known to say "Have a great ride!" or a "Safe trip!" on appropriate occasions as well, and definitely am behind a caution of safe driving/riding when there has been drinking - or better yet, an offer alternate forms of transportation.

There have just been a couple times when this phrase didn't sit well with me, perhaps an overly paternal/maternal tone, or being singled out, or what have you, but I'd agree with DUG that it's nothing to dwell on. I do like to figure out the motivations, I admit. Like, if they do feel it's super scary and dangerous, maybe this is a person I should get on two wheels with me! Anyhoo, thanks for your thoughts.

You are a more vulnerable road user on a bike, it is probably reflected in peoples thinking.

I also hate why people remind me to be safe on my bike. Doug has a good point that people also do say drive safe, but since biking is previewed by many as more dangerous choice of transportation, I also feel its a reminder that they think I'm crazy for riding my bike on city streets.

Personally I get nervous when my loved ones drive. It's ironic, but I feel like driving on the highway is dangerous.

Yep, they think we are crazy for riding on the city streets. Most people who say it won't get on a bike at all. However, they mean well.  Why take offense at someone who means well?  Really, if that is the worst thing that happens all day, it is a pretty good day, isn't it?

P.S.  I tell people to "drive safely" all of the time.  I hope they listen.

It's just a saying. I tell people to "have a safe flight" or "drive safe" all the time. It's akin to saying "safe travels". I don't think people are specifically trying to lecture you about how to safely ride a bike.

Of course it's disturbing: it's not grammatical.  Should be "Ride safeLY," as the second word is an adverb modifying the imperative form of the verb "to ride."

Here endeth the lesson.

OK, real opinion: it's people expressing concern for your safety.  I always take it positively.  An old Irish friend of mine always said "Goodbye" by saying "Safe home!" and he wasn't being negative about going home, he was offering good wishes.

It's fun to tell folks to "sleep safely" or "eat safely" in return.   We can't have anyone choking on their McBurgers if they are wolfing them down too fast.   Maybe "shower safely" should be added to all of our spoken parting rituals as well.

How about just "Let's be careful out there"?  Here's a link for those who might be of a generation to not get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service