The Chainlink

Thoughts on jogging in the Dearborn PBL? I saw a full-jogging-regalia guy running northbound in the Dearborn PBL this morning. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Views: 756

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen it a couple of times. I give them my standard line of, " You're standing/walking/running in traffic."

I run a lot and know not to run in traffic, bike traffic or otherwise.

My thoughts? It's obnoxious. Not as frustrating as people standing in the bike lane waiting to cross, though.

Agree.  I come across more people jogging in the bike lane on Kinzie.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

My thoughts? It's obnoxious. Not as frustrating as people standing in the bike lane waiting to cross, though.

A biking buddy of mine here at work contends that running in the street is illegal when a sidewalk is available.  I assume bike lanes qualify as "streets" here...

I don't think there is any law that prohibits it. I see people running in the car lanes on neighborhood streets fairly often.  It is safe to say that a runner/pedestrian using the traffic lane is not an "intended and permitted user" of a bike lane or street.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

A biking buddy of mine here at work contends that running in the street is illegal when a sidewalk is available.  I assume bike lanes qualify as "streets" here...

Well, my buddy referred me to this page:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/cdot/supp_info/ordinance...

You kind of have to read the whole thing to get the overall gist of what pertains to what, but section 9-60-080, though worded strangely, suggests that walking in the street when there are other options available is a no-no.

I particularly liked section 9-60-060.  I always feel safer when my right angels are around. :-)

Depends on whether they're running with or against the flow, and how fast they're going.

I have also seen more on Kinzie than Dearborn and it is obnoxious. Especially because the ones I've encountered are running with the flow of traffic while wearing earbuds so they can neither see nor hear you. 

The thing about a bike lane, as opposed to a city street, is that ONLY bikes are intended and permitted users of the bike lane. A city street is (the cities argue) intended for motor vehicles and bicycles are merely permitted. But I would argue that there is a very clear distinction with the bike lane where it is very, very specifically for bikes only.

Lisa Curcio 6.5 mi said:

I don't think there is any law that prohibits it. I see people running in the car lanes on neighborhood streets fairly often.  It is safe to say that a runner/pedestrian using the traffic lane is not an "intended and permitted user" of a bike lane or street.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Thank you!

Mike Keating said:

The thing about a bike lane, as opposed to a city street, is that ONLY bikes are intended and permitted users of the bike lane. A city street is (the cities argue) intended for motor vehicles and bicycles are merely permitted. But I would argue that there is a very clear distinction with the bike lane where it is very, very specifically for bikes only.

Lisa Curcio 6.5 mi said:

It can be annoying to go around joggers in the bike lanes, that said when I'm a pedestrian on busy downtown sidewalk sections, I find the joggers weaving between pedestrians much more annoying than passing them on bike. 

This is an excellent argument

Daniel G said:

The more humans out on the street supporting their own weight, the better for us all.

h' 1.0 said:

Depends on whether they're running with or against the flow, and how fast they're going.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service