The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I say, "Give me a break." I've never seen anyone ponder why there may be more accidents at PBL intersections, they just cite this anomalous statistic and pat themselves on the back. Let me start you off: lack of signage, failing to inform the public of the new lanes, drivers not giving a shit/texting on their phones/eating a sandwich/stressed out drivers not paying attention, and on and on.

Can you tell us that there'd be less dooring, less side-swiping, less ROAD RAGE, and less accidents when more and more cyclists are routed into existing traffic lanes? You cannot. Until you go through with it, that is, which seems to be your best argument. "Well, why NOT try it? Derp"

Have you seen what can take place during critical mass rides? Imagine what will ensue when the number of cyclists on the road keeps increasing and "encroaching" on the "territory" of pissed off drivers in the streets trying to get to work, to a play, to take their kids to school, etc.

You can cite all the statistics you want from other cities or other parts of the country, but every situation is unique. And even if you get your way and PBL's are kibboshed, the same tragedies will occur like the one's at certain PBL intersections without the proper education of the public and better/more law enforcement and medical services to handle what would surely result.  

Kevin C said:

To which I say, "Prove it."

You mean the antagonistic behavior by both cyclists and drivers that is on display during CCM will now become the new normal, 24/7, on every street in Chicago?

Zoetrope said:

[...]

Have you seen what can take place during critical mass rides? Imagine what will ensue when the number of cyclists on the road keeps increasing and "encroaching" on the "territory" of pissed off drivers in the streets trying to get to work, to a play, to take their kids to school, etc.

Kevin C said:

To which I say, "Prove it."

David--

You ate at Petterinos?!?

David Barish said:

Last night I dined al fresco at Petterinos at the corner of Dearborn and Randolph.  During the course of my meal nearly 200 bicycles had passed by going both directions in the PBL. I felt like I should speak Dutch to the waiter.

Today just before 7 am at Adams/Dearborn two trucks from the farmers market were completely blocking the bike lane.  Nothing like having to play chicken with oncoming traffic...  Calling 311 now.  Hope they just warn them since I think this is the first market of the season and I like the market :)

Today I almost hit a pedestrian. I was southbound coming over the bridge and crossing Wacker on my green light. A man stood on the southwest sidewalk corner waiting to cross Dearborn. He looked right, then left, so I thought he had seen me coming, just a few yards away, but no, I guess his brain didn't register me. He waited another second, then stepped out RIGHT in my path. I had been riding my brake anyway but had to brake hard and fishtailed as I screamed, and missed him by two inches. I could tell from the shocked look on his face that he had had no clue that I was there until I was two inches away.

I'd also like to put in a general plea that when you, my fellow bicyclists, are turning right to get onto the southbound lane of Dearborn from Washington or other eastbound streets, please do NOT make a fast and wide turn that arcs into the northbound bike lane, because there may well be a bicyclist in that northbound lane who wants to avoid head-on crashes as much as you do. :) Thanks.

Good advice, on the last point.

I'd add that I do think it may be wise to take things a bit slower on Dearborn in general, especially when approaching an intersection where pedestrians are likely to step out without looking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inattentional_blindness

Or in the words of the Rock Man: "You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear."  He wanted to see a clear path.  The predominant moving obstructions on a city street are the big, four-wheeled variety, so that's what he was looking for.  If we lived in Amsterdam, he'd probably be looking for a bike. :-)

Not saying it would help in this instance, or very often, but I always ride with my front light set to flash, even in bright daylight.  I figure if it snags the glance of an occasional pedestrian or cager who is about to leap in front of me and causes them to stop, it's worth having it going all the time.

Michelle Stenzel said:

I could tell from the shocked look on his face that he had had no clue that I was there until I was two inches away.

Lake is the worst (heading southbound, anyway) because peds bunch up due to the 'L' station being nearby and you're going downhill from Upper Wacker.

Alex Z said:

Good advice, on the last point.

I'd add that I do think it may be wise to take things a bit slower on Dearborn in general, especially when approaching an intersection where pedestrians are likely to step out without looking.

Also I think you almost always have a green light going SB at Lake after crossing at Wacker (whereas I usually get stopped at a red at Randolph; so Lake and Washington are the two big "conflict points" for me).

Apologies for beating a bit of a dead horse, but Clark (southbound) and Franklin (northbound) are reasonable alternatives. :-)

Chi Lowe 12.5+ mi said:

It's actually safer for me to ride in traffic some days, and I don't think that was the intent.

I did as well, from the south starting point, up to Madison. Not too bad, just have to wathc for the pedestrians. I find the afternoon MUCH more dangerous...

That would be the Westin Hotel, which has always been a traffic black hole as far as I'm concerned.

Chi Lowe 12.5+ mi said:

I did.  And it was a special morning where the lane was blocked by:..  A cab in front of the "Whatever All The Cabs Stop At" just N of the bridge

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service