The Chainlink

I don't have much information other than what's in the story:

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2012/12/04/bicyclist-struck-by-truck-...

Thursday, someone who knows the rider posted on a local FB page that he was still in ICU.

This happened 2 blocks from us and we go through that intersection virtually every day whether driving, walking, or biking. In fact, my daughter and I passed through there on our tandem shortly before this happened.  It is one of my least favorite intersections to ride or walk through. The City of Berwyn installed a red light camera there due to the high number of accidents, but it only monitors 26th street, not East Avenue.

Thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery

Vince

Views: 6309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've ridden through that intersection many times on East Avenue and have occasionally had scary moments with drivers on 26th running a red light or zooming through on a yellow.

I don't know the name of the injured cyclist.  I hope that he's able to make a good recovery.

It's particularly bad when kids are are getting out of nearby schools and parents are picking up.

The injured cyclist is my co-worker at the public library in Stickney. He's an Oak Park resident, and was biking home from work that day. I know he is a safe cyclist and always wears a helmet. We are absolutely distraught, as we have been told that a complete recovery is near impossible due to damage in key areas of his brain. Such a nightmare. 

Allison - I'm very sorry to hear this sad news about his condition.

Allison Mackey said:

The injured cyclist is my co-worker at the public library in Stickney. He's an Oak Park resident, and was biking home from work that day. I know he is a safe cyclist and always wears a helmet. We are absolutely distraught, as we have been told that a complete recovery is near impossible due to damage in key areas of his brain. Such a nightmare. 

Tribune photo...

The locals are chatting about it on their local bulletin board: Berwyn Talk

Stickney Public Library

GET WELL SOON JUSTIN!!!

Not sure what to say... horrible.

FWIW I don't know his insurance situation but if he does make it to rehab, Marienjoy probably has the best brain injury program in the West Suburbs.

Allison Mackey said:

This has been on my mind. Is there any way we can stay appraised of Justin's progress, and any needs he might have?

Allison:  Horrible news - will be doing healing meditations for Justin. 

I'm in a Facebook group where Justin's wife gives us updates...she has said to invite anyone who wants to be informed, so I could invite you if you have Facebook. The latest update is that, though still unconscious and not able to respond to commands, he has opened his eyes a few times and will squeeze his wife's hand back when she squeezes his, which is very good news. His ICP has been stable since after they removed a small part of his skull to let pressure out. He's also still on a respirator.

We started a fund for him at the library for people to donate to, and are looking at online options. He was 2 months away from a full year here, when he would have been eligible for vacation pay, disability through IMRF, and other benefits...such a shame. 

h' said:

This has been on my mind. Is there any way we can stay appraised of Justin's progress, and any needs he might have?

This is choice, on the Berwyntalk site.

And, BTW -- recently a bike rider nearly ran right into my moving vehicle on Longcommon Road as he carelessly swerved scarily close to passenger side; not only was he texting while cycling -- he was plugged into his IPod thingie which likely prevented hm from hearing me disgrace myself with some choice words directed his way.  Oh, and it was during the evening - and he had absolutely no reflective gear on himself or the bike.  About the only thing I really saw was the light from his phone until we both got under one of the few -- and very dim -- streetlights in Riverside.  MFer caused my life to flash before me -- but, of course, I got the finger vs. an apology.

Not condoning swerving unexpectedly, using headphones, not having lights and reflectors, or giving the finger, but a cyclist almost "hit" this motorist, and the motorists life flashed before his eyes? Huh?

Seems more than a bit out of proportion to me, too.

Will V. said:

This is choice, on the Berwyntalk site.

And, BTW -- recently a bike rider nearly ran right into my moving vehicle on Longcommon Road as he carelessly swerved scarily close to passenger side; not only was he texting while cycling -- he was plugged into his IPod thingie which likely prevented hm from hearing me disgrace myself with some choice words directed his way.  Oh, and it was during the evening - and he had absolutely no reflective gear on himself or the bike.  About the only thing I really saw was the light from his phone until we both got under one of the few -- and very dim -- streetlights in Riverside.  MFer caused my life to flash before me -- but, of course, I got the finger vs. an apology.

Not condoning swerving unexpectedly, using headphones, not having lights and reflectors, or giving the finger, but a cyclist almost "hit" this motorist, and the motorists life flashed before his eyes? Huh?

Allison - Thank you for the update.  It's encouraging that he's showing some signs of response.

The timing of this relative to his timeline for getting benefits really stinks.

Allison Mackey said:

I'm in a Facebook group where Justin's wife gives us updates...she has said to invite anyone who wants to be informed, so I could invite you if you have Facebook. The latest update is that, though still unconscious and not able to respond to commands, he has opened his eyes a few times and will squeeze his wife's hand back when she squeezes his, which is very good news. His ICP has been stable since after they removed a small part of his skull to let pressure out. He's also still on a respirator.

We started a fund for him at the library for people to donate to, and are looking at online options. He was 2 months away from a full year here, when he would have been eligible for vacation pay, disability through IMRF, and other benefits...such a shame.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service