The Chainlink

From the NWS

A POWERFUL WINTER STORM WILL AFFECT THE REGION THURSDAY INTO THURSDAY NIGHT BRINGING WET SNOW AND VERY STRONG WINDS. RAIN WILL CHANGE TO WET SNOW FROM WEST TO EAST LATE THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING...WITH SNOW CONTINUING INTO THURSDAY EVENING. SNOW COULD FALL HEAVILY AT TIMES WITH ACCUMULATIONS EXPECTED...ESPECIALLY NORTH OF INTERSTATE 80. IN ADDITION...VERY STRONG WINDS WILL LIKELY GUST TO OVER 50 MPH AT TIMES VERY LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO THURSDAY EVENING.

Most concerning is the 50 MPH winds blowing snow everywhere and reducing visibility.

Views: 2227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yep

planning to slap my studded tires on my winter beast tonight. if things get super stupid, i can always leave my bike at the office and train it home, then ride my bike home friday after work.

alternatively i could just ride my folder in the morning and then bring it home with me on the train tomorrow after work, but i'm gonna wait and see how bad it truly looks like it might get. probably a game day decision. the snow and ice aren't that big a deal for my winter tires to handle, but the marine forecast  is calling for winds up to 55 knots (63 mph)! that's no joke when you're exposed out on the lakefront. (the marine forecast is a million times more accurate for wind speed/direction than the land forecasts for those of us who ride along the LFP).

And so far this year the land based weather forecast for wind has seemed closer to the marine forecast for wind, yet inland, except for occasional gusts around buildings, it has not even come close to the forecasts.  If I were riding the LFP now, I would move to side streets rather than brave that wind!

Dan Allison said:

. . . but the marine forecast  is calling for winds up to 55 knots (63 mph)! that's no joke when you're exposed out on the lakefront. (the marine forecast is a million times more accurate for wind speed/direction than the land forecasts for those of us who ride along the LFP).

Maybe not. I hate rain and wet snow. Regular snow is fine.

At this point I am less concerned about the snow alone and more concerned about the snow/wind combination. Blowing snow means less visibility for me and the people operating two-ton machines that could easily skid out of control.

yes- see yall at cals

sometimes I'm better off not knowing what the forecast is and just head out prepared for every type of Dec weather condition.  I

f I don't feel right I can always put my bike on the bus (love that CTA). 

It will depend greatly on the wind direction for me. i've done my commute from the west loop all the way up to evanston via halsted & clark st./chicago ave. before and it takes FOREVER. 13 torturous miles of nothing but stop lights. the LFP adds a mile or so to my commute route, but the heavenly grace of being able to fly uninterrupted for 7.5 miles is sheer cycling joy. 

it has to be really bad along the lakefront for me to choose the inland route.

perhaps tomorrow will be one of those days. we'll see.

Lisa Curcio said:

If I were riding the LFP now, I would move to side streets rather than brave that wind!

Depending on the wind direction the LFP may be closed or sweep someone into the lake.

I seem to have completely spaced out about tomorrow being my office's last day this year.  That means we'll close around two tomorrow, so it'll be (sort of) light on my way home.  Plus, free Friday!

Yes.  If only to confirm to the rest of the office that I'm "that guy."  Everyone at the office is going to ask me whether I rode "even in this weather?!?", and I love saying "uh, yeah, of course."

LOL

Joe Studer said:

Yes.  If only to confirm to the rest of the office that I'm "that guy."  Everyone at the office is going to ask me whether I rode "even in this weather?!?", and I love saying "uh, yeah, of course."

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service