The Chainlink

Victim and his family sound like great people. RIP

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/oak_park_river_for...

Views: 707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very sad. News articles on bicycle accidents aren't always very clear on the details. So, did he cross when he did/didn't have the light? 91 year old man on a bike. Guy was hardcore. Sad story.

Sad loss. On the flipside, I think it's great that he was still able to ride and work at 91 years old.

He was my next door neighbor, and this was directly in front of my building. This is an uncontrolled, offset intersection. He was crossing the busy street. It is a bad intersection for all types of vehicles.

I'm very emotionally involved here, as I knew him personally, and this is somewhere I cycle every day. Oak Park police spent hours on accident reconstruction last night.

Tim, guessing that was your wife that contacted me about a memorial.  Just responded-- please get in touch.

Local coverage (no time now to see if it differs from Trib):

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/10-25-2013/92_year_old-cyclist...

Very sad.  I saw this guy riding around all the time--I live just a few blocks away.  That stretch of Madison is very hard to navigate on two (or in Suleyman's case, three) wheels, complicated by the offset Scoville Street crossing, traffic from Jewel parking lot next door and the 7-11 across the street, poor visibility over the median and general high speed at which car traffic moves on Madison.  RIP poor guy.

Taken by a neighbor last winter, and used with permission.  It is also featured in the local story.

You may want to get in touch with Bill Watson. I'm sure the Oak Park Cycling Club would want to be involved.

h' $550 said:

Tim, guessing that was your wife that contacted me about a memorial.  Just responded-- please get in touch.

Thanks, I spoke to Bill last night at the chainlink party, and posted to the OPCC list yesterday.

globalguy said:

You may want to get in touch with Bill Watson. I'm sure the Oak Park Cycling Club would want to be involved.

h' $550 said:

Tim, guessing that was your wife that contacted me about a memorial.  Just responded-- please get in touch.

Howard, I have some junk bikes at the shop and can get a lock, paint, make a sign and put together a ghost bike, give me all the details for the sign and the exact location where they want it.

h' $550 said:

Tim, guessing that was your wife that contacted me about a memorial.  Just responded-- please get in touch.

Local coverage (no time now to see if it differs from Trib):

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/10-25-2013/92_year_old-cyclist...

I'm sorry Tim, I'm sure you are besides yourself right now. And what a loss to your community. Hopefully they can change that intersection in some way to make this tragedy not happen again.


Tim Heckman said:

He was my next door neighbor, and this was directly in front of my building. This is an uncontrolled, offset intersection. He was crossing the busy street. It is a bad intersection for all types of vehicles.

I'm very emotionally involved here, as I knew him personally, and this is somewhere I cycle every day. Oak Park police spent hours on accident reconstruction last night.

I have a can of white primer about 4 blocks from the site if a ghost bike is in order.

notoriousDUG said:

Howard, I have some junk bikes at the shop and can get a lock, paint, make a sign and put together a ghost bike, give me all the details for the sign and the exact location where they want it.

h' $550 said:

Tim, guessing that was your wife that contacted me about a memorial.  Just responded-- please get in touch.

Local coverage (no time now to see if it differs from Trib):

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/10-25-2013/92_year_old-cyclist...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2008-2013   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C. Julie Hochstadter, Director   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service