The Chainlink

What went wrong?  A lot, I think.  I would like to read people's input on what went wrong and why and how such craziness can be avoided next time.  We only have a few really good summer months for CM and I would hate for them to all be so chaotic and the mass be so disjointed and 'stuck' in places.  It feels like a waste of a summer mass for it to be so messed up.  I am fairly new to CM so I don't want to come off as one of those people who complain but can't step up and do it right, so...maybe we can all post our thoughts and whoever steps up to do the next one is informed on what can go wrong.

Views: 92

Replies to This Discussion

Not a bad idea . . . not absolutely necessary though-- it only takes a few people to get the ride off in the right direction-- it's just a matter of making sure those people are there when and where you need them.

Jason W said:
I think the leaders need to be wait at the corner we are taking off from (like Clark and Washington if we are starting off south on clark).

Let me thrown out an idea. I remember one time last year Steven had a big peace sign on top of a pole on the back of his bike. Let's say he is the map maker and trying to lead one month. It would be good to put that symbol prominently on the map and on the sign on the back of his bike. That way the leader, or leaders match the map. Let's face it, people aren't that bright, and if we can give them obvious visual clues to make the leader more easily recognizable, it may help.

H3N3 said:
-where does one need to be in order to be at the front of the ride at the start?
-who is willing to =commit= to being there, and ready and available to work together with the others, before the riders hit the street?

Cool . . . it just seems like you need a better understanding of the problems if you're going to be the conduit, and the best way for you to understand what's happening would be to be at the front at the start (e.g. slightly before the start) to observe.

Jerry said:
As the lawyer, I can't be in charge, but I'll support whoever is. And I'll do whatever is necessary to stay at the front. I can usually wangle my way to the front.

H3N3 said:
When you have 2 or 3 experienced folks "helping" at the front of the ride, there is someone in charge, and we let the police know that. That "no-one wanting to appear to be a leader" thing you referred to yesterday (in reference to the August '07 ride) is not what typically happens at the front of the Chicago mass; we typically have at least a small group of folks willing to put themselves out there. When the police see that we have our own leadership they tend to back off.
I think we took our eye off the ball a bit at yesterday's meeting-- the most critical things to work out IMO are:
-where does one need to be in order to be at the front of the ride at the start?
-who is willing to =commit= to being there, and ready and available to work together with the others, before the riders hit the street?

Jerry said:
I'll stick to the front of the ride, and run interference with the police. If Howard and/or others can give me a heads-up on problems, I'll try to explain them to the police detail they put on the ride.
CPD is a vertical, hierarchical organization, so it doesn't really know what to make of a horizontally distributed egalitarian social organization like CM -- it would very much prefer to deal with someone in charge. But nobody is in charge. On the other hand, they are used to dealing with lawyers as intermediaries and recognize that, although the lawyer isn't in charge, he's at least a line of communication with the clients. Normally, police don't like it when clients lawyer up. But when they're not sure who the client is, I think they actually appreciate the lawyer. It fulfills their basic human need to have someone they can at least talk to.

Let me know when the police get in the way, and I'll do my best to figure out a polite, but effective, way to get the information to them, and keep the heat off you and the ride.
I'm sure I do. I'll have to rely on your guys for that. Speak up, and let me know. I'll bring two radios (all I have.) And feel free to shout information at me during the ride. I come from a large Irish family, so shouting is normal conversation for me. I won't take offense -- I don't when the cops shout at me, so clients are more than welcome, indeed, invited, to shout. I take my orders from my clients.

H3N3 said:
Cool . . . it just seems like you need a better understanding of the problems if you're going to be the conduit, and the best way for you to understand what's happening would be to be at the front at the start (e.g. slightly before the start) to observe.

Jerry said:
As the lawyer, I can't be in charge, but I'll support whoever is. And I'll do whatever is necessary to stay at the front. I can usually wangle my way to the front.

H3N3 said:
When you have 2 or 3 experienced folks "helping" at the front of the ride, there is someone in charge, and we let the police know that. That "no-one wanting to appear to be a leader" thing you referred to yesterday (in reference to the August '07 ride) is not what typically happens at the front of the Chicago mass; we typically have at least a small group of folks willing to put themselves out there. When the police see that we have our own leadership they tend to back off.
I think we took our eye off the ball a bit at yesterday's meeting-- the most critical things to work out IMO are:

Jerry said:
I'll stick to the front of the ride, and run interference with the police. If Howard and/or others can give me a heads-up on problems, I'll try to explain them to the police detail they put on the ride.
CPD is a vertical, hierarchical organization, so it doesn't really know what to make of a horizontally distributed egalitarian social organization like CM -- it would very much prefer to deal with someone in charge. But nobody is in charge. On the other hand, they are used to dealing with lawyers as intermediaries and recognize that, although the lawyer isn't in charge, he's at least a line of communication with the clients. Normally, police don't like it when clients lawyer up. But when they're not sure who the client is, I think they actually appreciate the lawyer. It fulfills their basic human need to have someone they can at least talk to.

Let me know when the police get in the way, and I'll do my best to figure out a polite, but effective, way to get the information to them, and keep the heat off you and the ride.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service