The Chainlink

Planning thread for July 30th 2010 Chicago Critical Mass.

In the recent "Critical Mass Strategy" discussion, Barbra mentioned hints of her desire to do a map for July's CCM, with an underwear theme.  She's certainly capable, having participated in WNBR-C and CCM for several years, and the theme is certainly appropriate for hot weather.

So with just a few weeks to go, I'm proactively seeding this thread for discussion and planning.

Views: 367

Replies to This Discussion

Underwear certainly works for a theme and should be fun. It would be cool if the map could go under as many things as possible....underpasses, lower level streets, etc.

I'll look up some locations where that could work.
jamimaria said:

I'll look up some locations where that could work.

...and we would go - under where? {groan!}
I'm working on the DJ set as we speak. What are the chances that I will be able to get some people to call my phone and leave a message saying something to the affect of, "Happy Friday this is the Critical Mass Underwear Ride!" Anyone want to do that?
I'll do it, but I want to wait until I get my new phone since my current phone sucks. Do you still have the same number as you had back in December?

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:
I'm working on the DJ set as we speak. What are the chances that I will be able to get some people to call my phone and leave a message saying something to the affect of, "Happy Friday this is the Critical Mass Underwear Ride!" Anyone want to do that?
I have the map "finished" in google maps...but I am still looking how to make the link shorter so I can post it here for discussion before I make *another* map in photoshop that I will have to scrap (it was good experience!). In the mean time send me your emails and I will email you all to collaborate and look at my map. I want to make sure there are no problems with it before I photoshop it again...Spencer and Andrew I have your emails already...sending now...
Underwear 4 Peace & Equality Mass! Highlights WNBR landmarks for nostalgia as this is kind of a half-naked ride. Incorporates some still quiet stretches for having our party to ourselves (Hubbard/Ravenswood) as well as high visibility areas. Incorporates swing-arounds for natural mass-ups throughout and for fun views of mass. Avoids hospitals/emergency vehicle zones. About 17 miles.
you can copy the long URL of the map to http://bit.ly and a short url will be created for you.

Barbra Mann said:
I have the map "finished" in google maps...but I am still looking how to make the link shorter so I can post it here for discussion before I make *another* map in photoshop that I will have to scrap (it was good experience!). In the mean time send me your emails and I will email you all to collaborate and look at my map. I want to make sure there are no problems with it before I photoshop it again...Spencer and Andrew I have your emails already...sending now...
Thanks Dubi here it is...
http://bit.ly/cFtYQs
Andrew, I chose to use some of your advice, thanks.
I would strongly suggest having the ride head out southbound on Clark, and then proceed at least two blocks south before swinging around (presumably west to Wacker), for the following reasons:

1) It's been far easiest to get the mass to leave southbound on Clark (by cutting off the head at Clark/Washington and letting the tail recede)
2) The people on the plaza can see that the ride is leaving
3) Clark south of Washington typically has little outbound traffic, and provides an excellent place to "stage" i.e. stop the head and mass up once you've gotten at least a block from the plaza-- this gives the rest of the plaza folks a chance to get to the street and those who want to help at the front a chance to get up there

Conversely, the people on the plaza do not have a view of the Clark/Randolph intersection where the breakaway will be, and westbound Randolph is typically somewhat congested with traffic leaving the loop, definitely more so than southbound Clark. The main point though is that the plaza folks wouldn't see that the ride is leaving.

I would suggest this be SOP for larger summer masses when we circle the entire plaza; on smaller rides it's best to collect at the Randolph/Dearborn corner and hit the street en masse when ready.

Barbra Mann said:

I have taken Barbara's map and modified it using Howards southern Clark adjustment. I have also converted it from the google map sketch to a turn by turn directions based map including every round up, http://bit.ly/c70X8N. If you wish to modify it please do so by grabbing one of the white dots or the route lines themselves and dragging them around. Once you're done please click "Link" button in the top right hand corner and get the URL from the "Paste link in email or IM" bar.

Barbra, it's a great map coming to roughly 18.3 miles! We've been having some short routes recently so it's nice to see a longer one will be happening in the near future. So when is the test ride?

Personally, I like exiting downtown on Randolph.
Great suggestions...I did have my reservations about going down Milwaukee to the triangle, thinking it's a bit 'old' and lends to congestion, but I really wanted to go by at least one American Apparel. Hmmm...and I didn't want to go to any other one cause I wanted to stay farther west until we are way up north. I am fine with skipping it, though, if most think we should.
I see Howard's point about people seeing the mass leave...after all, last time, that came in handy for my friend and I when I (shocked) yelled, 'OMG! ....they're leaving already!!!" ha ha ha...but that won't happen this time. As long as we can still cross the river where I wanted to I am happy. (thanks for making the changes, Spencer).
My original reason for wanting to END in Humboldt Park was to stay away from LSD...but since most LOVE ending at the lake and the consensus at the meeting was that at least we stay away from Grant Park, it should be fine and that Montrose would be a good place to end. I keep waffling between putting a warning on the map/flyer about 'taking' LSD...do I want to draw attention to it and give fuel to people who like to pretend they're 'anarchists' to have something to be rebellious about, or just not draw attention to it? The teacher in me votes for the latter. I know how children think, and hopefully by the end of the ride, enough people will be in their underwear as to make heading to the park more exciting than stupid LSD. However, if a consensus says we should end elsewhere, I will make my proposed map end at Humboldt Park...a scant few blocks from my apartment!!! ;-)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service