The Chainlink

March 1st is tomorrow!  What bike tours are you planning for this summer?

What tours do you have planned?  What tours are you just considering?

What time do you thing?  Spring? Early Summer? Late Summer?

Start from here, ride out and back?  Get our and/or back by some other form of transportation so you can tour someplace distant?

How many days in the saddle?  How many miles each day, on the average?

Don't let Thanksgiving come around and remember that you still haven't gone anywhere!!!

Views: 692

Replies to This Discussion

I was planning on doing at least one 2 to 4 day mid-week metra mini tour this summer. Last year i did Harvard Metra to Kettle Morraine south, then Kettle Morraine north, then back as a solo ride. This year i am thinking about riding to the Peoria area in late july/early august. I would take the Metra to either Joliet or Manhattan and stay the first night in Starved Rock State Park.
I would definitely be up for doing a separate 2-4 day ride over the summer involving taking the Metra and stringing together 50 or 60 mile days with camping. I'm always interested in finding other folks who work weekends (or otherwise strange and/or flexible schedules) and can do weekday rides.
I'm planning to ride Velo Quebec's "Le Grand Tour", a six day ride from the Adirondacks in upstate New York into Canada. The travel brochure says that have things called "mountains" we will climb. Are those bigger than the over passes on the expressway? Link here:

http://www.explorebybike.com/destination-bike-adventure-the-grand-tour
I'm planning this summer to have some s24o's with my friends. Maybe something longer. The first has been decided to be Zion. Just taking paths from the city on up. After that, we don't know yet, but I'm quite excited.

Charlie: Get over to Galena, IL if you want some hill or small mountains. I was there recently, not by bike, it reminded me of West Virginia, where I grew up.
Reply by Adam "Cezar" Jenkins Get over to Galena, IL if you want some hill or small mountains. I was there recently, not by bike, it reminded me of West Virginia, where I grew up.

Not exactly West Virginia, but I was considering a ride south on the Great Allegheny Passage Trail this spring.
http://www.traillink.com/ViewTrail.aspx?AcctID=6032293

This would be from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, about half-way to Washington DC.

Google maps suggests that there's a lot of terrain shifting on this route. Is there?

The rest of the route would be along the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal and that's gotta be pretty flat, right?
Thanks Adam. Just kidding about the mountains. Well, sort of. I've cycled in the Adirondacks before and those roads were not designed by the Army Core of Engineers that's for sure! The roads by Galena are great too. If you've ever been on TOMROV, they tease you by having your ride the flats out of the quad cities for 60 miles, THEN they take you into the hills of Galena for almost 50 more miles. Them's the rides for youngsters; not us old geezers.

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins said:
I'm planning this summer to have some s24o's with my friends. Maybe something longer. The first has been decided to be Zion. Just taking paths from the city on up. After that, we don't know yet, but I'm quite excited.

Charlie: Get over to Galena, IL if you want some hill or small mountains. I was there recently, not by bike, it reminded me of West Virginia, where I grew up.
I'm doing RAGBRAI this summer, my first supported tour. 400+ miles in 7 days. I wouldn't mind doing another shorter 3-4 day tour out to Galena and Madison this spring/summer/fall as well. Would a week be too short of a time to go touring somewhere abroad? I'm debating whether or not to save up my vacation time for a longer tour abroad (3-4 weeks) vs. a shorter week long tour this year. Is it worth it to go abroad for only a week?
I'm planning on several weekend trips, using Metra to slingshot out.

I'd like to make it up to madison...and to do a trip around the lower part of Lake Michigan, using the ferry to get across.

Hopefuly I can also go down to Starved Rock for a weekend. I'm a little embarrassed that I've never been to Starved Rock.
I'm seriously considering a expedition around lake Michigan. Wont know for sure till July though
Reply by mat defiler "This year i am thinking about riding to the Peoria area in late july/early august."

Peoria is mid-way between Galesburg and Bloomington. Take your pick, both have Amtrak Illinois Service routes to return to Chicago - and you can take your bike on the train without having to pack it in a box. Cost is $10 but it's a great ride and well worth it and a great convenience.
FatTireFool said:
I'm seriously considering a expedition around lake Michigan. Wont know for sure till July though

It's been done before if you want to follow some experience:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/LakeMichigan

and

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/LakeMichigan2007
did that last september...GREAT ride. Michigan's Upper Peninsula is beautiful

FatTireFool said:
I'm planning to go to Madison through northern Illinois then north.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service