The Chainlink

The Streets for Cycling 2020 Plan is about to get its public launch at an open house on 12/10.  Have been frustrated with all the places where our south side bike route network is less than adequate?  Have your friends or family members said they wished they could ride to a particular destination but didn't feel safe riding there on the streets due to traffic and street conditions?  This plan is your opportunity to speak up!

There are 3 additional public meetings scheduled from January to early February.  (Don't get me started about the timing of these meetings - in the middle of winter.)  I hope that you can attend at least one of the public meetings.  If not, you can send ideas to me for inclusion in the information we gather and provide to CDOT.

Please take a few minutes to read this blog post about the plan.  If you haven't seen my recent blog posts about south side cycling on Grid Chicago, I'd welcome your comments there.

P.S.  I am one of the co-leaders for our region of the city.  If you are interested in helping with public outreach in preparation for our January south side meeting, please e-mail me at: s4c (dot) south (at) gmail (dot) com.

Views: 129

Replies to This Discussion

FYI - Here's the public meeting/webinar schedule, as well as online input/contact info.

Garfield Park Conservatory – Jensen Room
300 N. Central Park
Wednesday, January 18th, 2012
6 – 8 p.m., presentation begins @ 6:30

Woodson Regional Library – Auditorium
9525 S. Halsted Street
Wednesday, January 25th, 2012
6 – 8 p.m., presentation begins @ 6:30

Sulzer Regional Library - Auditorium
4455 N. Lincoln
Wednesday, February 1st, 2012
6 - 8 p.m., presentation begins @6:30

Webinar #1
Friday, February 3rd, 2012
12-1 p.m. CST
Reserve your Webinar seat now at: http://goo.gl/CGq6M

Webinar #2
Monday, February 6th, 2012
6-7 p.m. CST

Reserve your Webinar seat now at: http://goo.GL/iLphG

The flyer can also be found at http://www.chicagobikes.org/public/SFC.php.

Like us at www.facebook.com/StreetsForCycling2020 for additional project information.

(To request a reasonable accommodation, contact streetsforcycling2020@gmail.com or call 630-534-6400. At least 72 hours advance notice is required.) In the event of inclement weather, please check chicagobikes.org or Streets for Cycling Plan 2020 Facebook page for meeting rescheduling information.

We've scheduled a Beverly neighborhood meeting to add another opportunity for public input on the south side.  Please join us on Tuesday 1/17 at Ridge Park fieldhouse, 9625 S. Longwood Dr., from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. 

On Wednesday 1/25, you can attend the south side meeting at Woodson Regional Library, 9525 S. Halsted, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., with a presentation at 6:30 p.m.

Anyone is welcome to attend either meeting to more information about the project and offer your ideas on where you'd like to go by bike, and where you'd like to see bike lanes (protected, buffered or regular) and bike boulevards.

Thanks to the folks who came to Tuesday's meeting at Ridge Park.  To those of you who weren't able to attend, I hope you can join us at Wednesday's south side meeting.  This one will include a presentation.

Please join us at tonight's Streets for Cycling meeting.  There are plenty of areas that could use your ideas for improvement.

We've developed a preliminary set of ideas for bike boulevard/neighborhood greenway routes.  Please visit this page to read more about the concept and take a pair of brief surveys to help us prioritize our recommendations to the city.

These routes could be especially valuable to those of you who ride with young children and to those hesitant friends and family members who you try to persuade to ride with you, but who are afraid of traffic.  The boulevard/greenway concept is aimed at creating safer routes where they can ride.

Please share this page with other cyclists you know who ride in our area of the city, and people who might want to ride on our neighborhood streets if they felt safer doing so in traffic.

Have you taken the new bike lane survey yet?  We could really use your input on this.  

Please respond by Wednesday afternoon 3/8 if you can, otherwise ASAP.  The boulevard/greenway survey mentioned in the previous post is still open, but only for this week.

Thanks!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service