The Chainlink

1) You put on your jeans and they already have the right leg rolled up.

2) You do laundry when you don't have any more clean bike shorts.

Views: 12085

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You step outside your door and see your bike is not there, your heart rate increases, your breathing quickens, you sweat, you get a metallic taste in your mouth, your vision blurs, your legs get rubbery, your vision blurs, you fumble for your your phone to report grand theft bike, then you remember and your neighbor asks if you are OK and you reply, "Yeah, just too much coffee this morning."

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

You leave your bike overnight at your favorite, trusted LBS for a check-up and clean-up and you miss not seeing it in its spot and worry that it is okay.

When it feels so weird to leave your house without your bike. I swear it takes me a good 10 - 15 minutes to get used to walking around without it because I'm stuck with that nagging feeling that I'm missing something. 

A lot of my bike-habits bleed over into my non-biking life:

- When walking, I toss a lot of over-the-shoulder glances behind me when I am about to walk around a slower pedestrian and when I re-enter their "line." I haven't started announcing my presence, though.

- When driving, I tend to manage my speed around corners the way I might on my bike, taking them unnecessarily slowly. I'm also more highly attuned to how heavy the machine around me really is.  

I've lived here all my life and didn't start doing the shoulder checking thing until I started biking.  Of course if I'm walking alone at night I check behind me a lot.  But now in crowded areas like downtown, I look behind me before "switching lanes."

I do that when I drive too. My speed driving has also gone down considerably. My husband calls me a grandma driver.

Simon Phearson said:

- When driving, I tend to manage my speed around corners the way I might on my bike, taking them unnecessarily slowly. I'm also more highly attuned to how heavy the machine around me really is.  

Not only do I "shoulder check" to see if someone faster is coming up on me when walking, I have to fight the urge to say "On your left" when I'm approaching and passing another pedestrian behind.  This is especially true when the person in front of me is "wandering" on the sidewalk (not walking in a straight line) and/or talking on their phone.

Simon Phearson said:

- When walking, I toss a lot of over-the-shoulder glances behind me when I am about to walk around a slower pedestrian and when I re-enter their "line." I haven't started announcing my presence, though.

yai danche said:

I've lived here all my life and didn't start doing the shoulder checking thing until I started biking.  Of course if I'm walking alone at night I check behind me a lot.  But now in crowded areas like downtown, I look behind me before "switching lanes."

I call "on your left" on my runs. Most people don't know left from right, it's shocking. It's also amazing how many people walk, with headphones on, staring dead into their phones, swerving from right to left.

JM 6.5 said:

Not only do I "shoulder check" to see if someone faster is coming up on me when walking, I have to fight the urge to say "On your left" when I'm approaching and passing another pedestrian behind.  This is especially true when the person in front of me is "wandering" on the sidewalk (not walking in a straight line) and/or talking on their phone.

Simon Phearson said:

yai danche said:

Ha! You may have passed me on the sidewalk recently. That cracked me up, but good on ya'- plenty of phone zombies roam these streets nowadays.

EssFresh said:

I call "on your left" on my runs. Most people don't know left from right, it's shocking. It's also amazing how many people walk, with headphones on, staring dead into their phones, swerving from right to left.

When he is speeding, does he call himself a law abiding citizen? Or a menace to society? He must know that speeding reduces his reaction time. This single action, is endangering others and himself. When you knowingly endanger self and others, something is wrong in Da head. These are the same reasons people get three day evaluations in psych wards. Is he crazy calling you a Grandma??? I would say he is getting himself in trouble. He is not mindful of his behavior and is justifying bad behavior by putting your good behavior down. If Momma ain't happy, no one in the family should be happy.  Go Kick as GrandMa.

Julie Hochstadter said:

I do that when I drive too. My speed driving has also gone down considerably. My husband calls me a grandma driver.

Simon Phearson said:

Speeding does not reduce your reaction time, it increases your reaction distance; if you are going to go on insane reactionary rants that make insane jumps of logic like speeding by 5mph being cause for people to be physiologically evaluated at least get the terminology right.

Christopher Wallace said:

When he is speeding, does he call himself a law abiding citizen? Or a menace to society? He must know that speeding reduces his reaction time. This single action, is endangering others and himself. When you knowingly endanger self and others, something is wrong in Da head. These are the same reasons people get three day evaluations in psych wards. Is he crazy calling you a Grandma??? I would say he is getting himself in trouble. He is not mindful of his behavior and is justifying bad behavior by putting your good behavior down. If Momma ain't happy, no one in the family should be happy.  Go Kick as GrandMa.

Julie Hochstadter said:

Simon Phearson said:

You know you're a cyclist when, on the second day of spring, your inbox fills up with with messages on this thread.

* Your Google map app defaults to bike directions.

* When you hear "kryptonite" your first thought is not Superman - unless superman is imprisoned by a u-lock.

*You feel that the Crazy8 scene from Breaking Bad is an appropriate punishment to all bike thieves.

*It's 5 below, wind chill factor of 10, several inches of accumulation and your thought remains: "Which bike path do I take?"

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service