The Chainlink

What's everyone's gear ratio for the winter? Or what's your favorite gear ratio?
I am riding a 42/14 currently. My summer bike is 48/16. The 42/14 starts off well, with a good push and I can get going fast, but also slow down well. Also, when that wind picks up I can handle it! But 48/16 is my favorite, simple but fast.

Views: 1164

Replies to This Discussion

my legs are on fire from the 700-35's with that ratio. I put the 23s back on and I'm much happier for it.

GabeW said:
Just changed my cranks! 46/16 for 75.6" on 700-23's (with 700-35's: 78.1")
Going to get a 13 or 14 for the track (trying to get close to 90" without changing the chainring)
Right now I'm running a 48/15, but will be installing a 17t cog when I replace the rear hub soon. I wanted something that would be a tad easier around town, no matter what kind of shape I'm in I break a sweat way too easily.
Just switched out from my usual 48 16 to a 48 15, and man am I happy with it! I'm sure my feelings will change once I am riding home in a 17 mph headwind someday, but man it was great to be able to haul it down the LFP!
I just switched from 48/16 to 46/16 and even though that ratio spins me fast quite soon I fully dig the rapid cadence I believe (I just did this switch yesterday).

Of course, I am kind of new to fixie riding (2.5 months) and think it's the most fun!
Jester Rocks!!!
I can't tell if it's better to get a lower or higher ratio for the winter...

I didn't ride fixed gear this past winter (road bike, switched gears often - never happy though), but will be riding fixed this winter. Right now my ratio is 44/16. I like it fine, but I am thinking about switching to 46/16 or 48/16, maybe 46/17. I don't know....

I know for sure that I don't want to go lower than what I have now, though. I rode my brother's bike around all day today, and I'm in love with everything about his bike, except its low ratio (38/16 or something like that?!).

Yeah, I need help! hah!
I just downed my ration from 48/16 to 48/17 and it has made a big difference. What I lost in top speed I have more than gained in take off and flexibility with my speed. I will stick to it for the winter. Part of the reason I downed my ratio is that the wind was killing me on my ride from Foster and California to 1700 South Michigan. I can also get a better cardio workout with a slightly lower ratio.
Sorry to sound like a dumbass but I am. I just started riding a fixie- 48/16. Which I love by the way. What's better for the windy winter months? Especially along the lake?
Thx
Stick to the roads, they are plowed and clear. I don't know about the trail.

JFred4 said:
Sorry to sound like a dumbass but I am. I just started riding a fixie- 48/16. Which I love by the way. What's better for the windy winter months? Especially along the lake?
Thx
You, my friend, must have massive legs. That is one mean ratio!

arman said:
i'm running a 50/14 and boy are my legs tired....starting with that ratio was a bit of a pain in the ass, buit i replaced the stem with a really steep angled one that forces my body/weight forward. i immediately noticed both stopping and starting were made way easier.
Invest in some really good socks. Wool synthetic blend, you will thank yourself. Bridgedale is the brand I love.

Chris said:
48/16 seems good to me always. man i need some better effin shoes my toes freeze everytime even with 3 pairs of sock
Just switched to 42/14 from 42/15, probably gonna stick with that for the winter, although the wind has been rough sometimes so far, i guess i need to catch up to my gear ratio....

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service