The Chainlink

Heya folks,

TC was kind enough to give me an unused pair of goggles to try last winter, but unfortunately I don't do well with any sort of shaded lens. I just odered a few clear-lens cheapos to give them a try (a $20 Bolle and an $8 no-name that's shipping from Hong Kong). I received the Bolles and they're actually pretty nice for the money, but they do detract from my peripheral vision a bit and that makes me nervous (already a bit tough to turn my head far due to an old injury).

Does anyone know if there are goggles designed for another sport that do better in the periphery department?  Thanks.

Views: 1416

Replies to This Discussion

Don't know exactly how they'll do for winter riding.

I do know I'm tired of feeling homicidal every time the rubber nosepiece pops off my current POS riding glasses (Nashbar or Performance cheapos). I can't imagine that these won't me at least some margin more comfortable than having a bare plastic edge on the bridge of my nose.

Need to see how they handle fog.

 

I will absolutely post a review once I've tried them.

-h'

http://www.backcountry.com/smith-cme-mx-goggle

 

I heard Smith goggles were highly recommended, but pretty pricey.  I bought these babies for $12.50 (!!!!) and although I have only worn them once (I don't bike daily), I'm already in love with them.  

 

It does say that they're for "small heads" and females, so if you're a big, giant headed man they may not work for you.  But the website has other Smith goggles discounted as well.  

Got the Kroops.  Have had limited opportunity to test them (last night on Marauders).


The $10 skydiving goggles are exactly the same as the $15 cycling goggles except the cycling goggles have an additional row of holes in the lens (this is visible on their site)-- otherwise completely identical.

Per my limited testing they're comfortable, light, well-made, and do not limit peripheral vision in the least.

They fog a bit when you first put them on/first go out in the cold (from the relative heat/moisture of your eyes); they self-defog with enough of a breeze through the holes, which is to say with just the right wind direction-- otherwise you have to wipe them, after which they will not fog up. When they do it tends to collect at the top, so you can push them up a bit to see.

 

I'll try the skydiving ones next to see if there's any significant difference.  Either way I think they're an incredible value and my winter eyewear of choice from now on.

 

I also have been having success with these:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bolle-safety-glasses-vs.html

(first safety glasses I've tried that are comfortable for long periods, and they're crystal-clear)

Coupled with one of these (from Ciclo):

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/MR309M02-Cycle+Aware+Heads+U...

The latter looks likely to become my permanent rest-of-year eye protection.

 

H3N3 said:

Don't know exactly how they'll do for winter riding.

I do know I'm tired of feeling homicidal every time the rubber nosepiece pops off my current POS riding glasses (Nashbar or Performance cheapos). I can't imagine that these won't me at least some margin more comfortable than having a bare plastic edge on the bridge of my nose.

Need to see how they handle fog.

 

I will absolutely post a review once I've tried them.

-h'

Oops- wrong info above. I took a closer look and it seems they substituted a cycling model for a skydiving model intentionally or unintentionally. The skydiving model has no vent holes at all.

Today I found the fogging to be a real problem on teh ride to work, and on the way home the cold breeze was just right to send a constant jet of cold air at my eyeball via the little holes (I noticed this once or twice the other night). So I'm going to downgrade my rec of the cycling goggle for winter use.

I'll try the undrilled ($9.95) model next to see how it does.

Or a massively-domed female!  How sexist!

Shay said:

http://www.backcountry.com/smith-cme-mx-goggle

 

It does say that they're for "small heads" and females, so if you're a big, giant headed man they may not work for you.

Same here. I just got my Kroop's and tested them out this morning. There's enough pre-drilled holes to get a rush of cold air to your eyeballs and start watering your eyes thus fogging up the goggles. After limited used, the plastic lens gets soiled very easily from moisture and facial oil that they have to be wiped after every use to obtain the crystal clear vision.

 

Bummer, I really wanted these to work perfectly. I'll have to try racquetball goggles next.
H3N3 said:

Oops- wrong info above. I took a closer look and it seems they substituted a cycling model for a skydiving model intentionally or unintentionally. The skydiving model has no vent holes at all.

Today I found the fogging to be a real problem on teh ride to work, and on the way home the cold breeze was just right to send a constant jet of cold air at my eyeball via the little holes (I noticed this once or twice the other night). So I'm going to downgrade my rec of the cycling goggle for winter use.

I'll try the undrilled ($9.95) model next to see how it does.

I use sports safety glasses purchased at Dick's sporting goods (similar to these: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/218353609/safety_spectacles_safet...).

They fog a little when I stop, but clear up as soon as I begin moving again. The glasses included in the link have anti-fog lenses. 

told ya so.

Eduardo Acosta said:

Same here. I just got my Kroop's and tested them out this morning. There's enough pre-drilled holes to get a rush of cold air to your eyeballs and start watering your eyes thus fogging up the goggles. After limited used, the plastic lens gets soiled very easily from moisture and facial oil that they have to be wiped after every use to obtain the crystal clear vision.

 

Bummer, I really wanted these to work perfectly. I'll have to try racquetball goggles next.
H3N3 said:

Oops- wrong info above. I took a closer look and it seems they substituted a cycling model for a skydiving model intentionally or unintentionally. The skydiving model has no vent holes at all.

Today I found the fogging to be a real problem on teh ride to work, and on the way home the cold breeze was just right to send a constant jet of cold air at my eyeball via the little holes (I noticed this once or twice the other night). So I'm going to downgrade my rec of the cycling goggle for winter use.

I'll try the undrilled ($9.95) model next to see how it does.

i bought a pair of these http://www.rei.com/product/744424 at the beginning of the season and love them. I needed something that would fit over my glasses (contacts freak me out). They keep out the wind, cold, and snow/rain exceptionally well. They don't fog up and the tinting is and added bonus on bright winter mornings. I haven't had any problems with the tinting at night in city thanks to all the street lights, using them on unlit streets might be a different story. Periphery vision is impacted, but it's worth it to me if i can bike without crying. These have changed my winter biking immensely. I can now bike without my glasses fogging up and the cold doesn't hurt my eyes anymore.

I found these at Rapid Transit Cycleshop:  http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=EW2700

 

The fold up into the pouch and don't look nearly as dorky as they seem.

 

They're great...until you start breathing (this is with a balaclava on).  They fog up and don't de-fog quickly at all.  Think I'll stick to sunglasses during the day and nothing at night.

But...they did work fantastically well in today's downpour!

Jenny T said:

I found these at Rapid Transit Cycleshop:  http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=EW2700

 

The fold up into the pouch and don't look nearly as dorky as they seem.

 

They're great...until you start breathing (this is with a balaclava on).  They fog up and don't de-fog quickly at all.  Think I'll stick to sunglasses during the day and nothing at night.

Yeah, I was going to ask about fog earlier.

I receive a $7 pair of ski goggles today I ordered from some random shipper in Hong Kong off eBay.

They're horrible. They would only come close to fitting someone who had a little flat round button nose.

The only way they'll stay on is with the bottom edge pressing on my lower eyelids. Weird.

 

I haven't got around to trying toothpaste or any of the other old anti-fog tricks on the Kroops.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service