The Chainlink

So 2014 was the year I decided to bike all year and I did--through the dreaded polar vortex and everything.    However, I now find myself kind of melancholy at the start of the new year.  Where is the snow?  Where is the ice?  Where is the cold? And the wind?  I miss you.  Please come back. We had so much fun together in what might have been a once-a-generation Chicago winter. 

Surely there must be something wrong with me.  Is this a plea for help?  I don't know.

Views: 529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nah.  It just means you can live anywhere further north without giving it a thought.  Tour Montreal in the snow, in fact go anywhere you can be a winter tourist.  Have you ever been to Vancouver?  How about Denver?  Have you ever been to Buffalo or Toronto?  

Actually, as a former resident of the Rockies, I must say that biking through last winter here gave me an endorphin rush that was kind of similar to skiing.  Honestly, that alone probably made the winter all the more fun (brutal as it was ;-). 

Wait for it...

The next two weeks appear a little interesting.

Please, be careful what you wish for.  Think of your fellow cyclists!

:)

Lisa Curcio 4.1mi said:

Please, be careful what you wish for.  Think of your fellow cyclists!

I agree, I really wish we had some snow. I love to cross country ski in the winter and last winter's snowfall spoiled me. I'm not so crazy about wind and polar vortex temps though.

I rode this morning to work, but I'm sad my skis are still shut in the closet.

OMG. Snow! It's a great ride today! I ran over to REI for their garage sale, main roads are good, side roads are fun, but stay off of the car tracks, they're getting slick. Also, side note after the garage sale, stopped by Crate&Barrel outlet to replace a bowl, found out that they're closing that store in favor of the one out in Naperville. If you're in need of some household stuff, they're having some big discounts now.

Was that you with the colored LED lights on your bike outside? Very nice setup. I went to the garage sale as well and picked up an REI hardshell with front vents (finally), and some lighterweight gloves to replace my old ones with ripping fingers. Definitely going to go earlier next time if I do. The cashier said all the bike accessory stuff is gone in the first hour! 

Also, winter is here:

For the Winter Storm Watch...

* timing...Monday night through the predawn hours Tuesday.

* Accumulations...some areas possibly seeing over 6 inches.

* Main impact...untreated roads will become snow covered resulting in difficult travel. Visibility may be reduced to around one quarter mile at times.

Game on. 



Jaik S. said:

OMG. Snow! It's a great ride today! I ran over to REI for their garage sale, main roads are good, side roads are fun, but stay off of the car tracks, they're getting slick. Also, side note after the garage sale, stopped by Crate&Barrel outlet to replace a bowl, found out that they're closing that store in favor of the one out in Naperville. If you're in need of some household stuff, they're having some big discounts now.

Headed outside at 4:32am this morning to do a 12mi ride of ice, snow, and frigid cold.   Wow was that great!  Now, if I could just figure out my ski goggle fogging problem.   Grrrr.....

REI sells no-fog wipes for goggles. They work really well.

David Beazley said:

Headed outside at 4:32am this morning to do a 12mi ride of ice, snow, and frigid cold.   Wow was that great!  Now, if I could just figure out my ski goggle fogging problem.   Grrrr.....

Thanks for the compliment! That was my big ol' whip outside with the holiday lights. I ended up getting a front rack for my bike and some good liner gloves for less than $20. Both needed a little love, but everything is in order now. I'll also be heading down earlier next time around.


T.K. 3.5 mi said:

Was that you with the colored LED lights on your bike outside? Very nice setup. I went to the garage sale as well and picked up an REI hardshell with front vents (finally), and some lighterweight gloves to replace my old ones with ripping fingers. Definitely going to go earlier next time if I do. The cashier said all the bike accessory stuff is gone in the first hour! 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service