The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great day for a fairing.  Anyone else using one?

Thankfully the cold dry wind got rid of most or all of the remaining moisture on the ground before the freeze.  Kind of a nice ride this morning, in its own way.

I agree.  Nippy and breezy, but it sure was nice to have the sun back. 
h' 1.0 said:

Thankfully the cold dry wind got rid of most or all of the remaining moisture on the ground before the freeze.  Kind of a nice ride this morning, in its own way.

I have the same issue, Steve.  If your budget can handle it, they do have prescription sport glasses/goggles at ForEyes (and probably Pearle, etc.).  They're pricey, but so are multiple pairs of OTGs that didn't work out. 

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Search for goggles with an Over The Glasses (OTG) designation. Most brands make goggles like this. I have had a couple pairs over the years, but can't recommend anything great. I've not tried on a pair that was truly comfortable with my normal glasses and didn't fog-up my glasses. Maybe I could get a smaller pair from Zenni Optical just for wearing Under the Goggles (UTG). :)

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Last year I bought snow goggles for those days that I want my eyes protected from wind and cold, but I do not wear glasses.  I like the goggles although they somewhat block peripheral vision and require more head turning.  Surely there are snow goggles that are made to fit over glasses.

Steve Weeks said:

. . . .Maybe I should look into goggles. Any one have suggestions for decent ones that will fit over regular glasses?

Steve

Perfect day for a ride

A lot fewer people riding today than rode yesterday!  It was lonely out there.  Even when I got to Kinzie and then Dearborn I only saw four other riders.

Still riding every day! 

I'm so jealous of everyone still riding.  I had to hang up my bike on doctor's orders... but I'll be back on the trail next summer/fall with another kid in my trailer.  Until then I'll keep smiling when I see you rockstars riding by in the cold!

I rode to and from Spin class yesterday.

I forgot my balaclava and shoe covers.  I was cold, but not excessively so.

The studded tires sound like a good idea.

3 days of long Divvy commutes -- "long" with respect to Divvy's 30 minute limit -- have left me a little weary and not looking forward to a 4th consecutive day of "long haul" Divvy riding. That combined with the temp in teens meant I rode the CTA today.  At least I'm motivated to fix my bike this weekend!!

I took 2 short Divvy trips at lunchtime. Didn't have much company out there in the Dearborn bike lane. That brrrisk wind reminded me that I need to keep a balaclava at the office for winter Divvy rides.

Think I'm going to venture on two wheels to my eye doctor in a few--it's only about a mile away so I'm thinking/hoping it won't be too bad!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service