The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So how was the December weather today? Great for riding?

No, I have a bike with old heavy studded tires that sits unused when it's not icy.

Never ever ever would I wish for ice, because it means that cyclists who don't have the means to afford rich-people things like studded tires are going to be out there slipping and falling and getting hurt.

Or putting the bikes in storage. 

Not to mention all the older folks ending up in the hospital with wrist, elbow, and hip fractures.

I thought you were in a helping profession?

Having a hard time reconciling that with your attitude.

Steve Weeks said:

You mean you put studded tires on? :-)

I just came in from the garage after getting my beater folder set up with the Marathon Winters. Bring that ice on!

Cheers,

Steve

h' 1.0 said:

It should warm the cockles of your heart to know I rode Studly to work today (I got him ready when it started raining last night, and, well, he was just so ready this morning...)

Well, you have a pretty strange idea of how the world works if you think that anything I (or anyone else, for that matter) say can influence the weather. We're going to get ice at some point, so we may as well accept it. What I said was basically an enthusiastic way of saying "I'm prepared."

As for "helping", which do you think helps more: talking about studded tires and possibly making some riders aware of their existence, or "wishing" there wouldn't be ice?

Studded tires are not a "rich people" thing; they are one way to improve safety while riding on ice. I certainly don't "wish" for any sort of harm to anyone, but to ignore the dangers of icy streets is asking for trouble. And yes, I would put my bike away rather than ride on ice with regular tires.

Stay safe. :-)

Steve

h' 1.0 said:

Never ever ever would I wish for ice, because it means that cyclists who don't have the means to afford rich-people things like studded tires are going to be out there slipping and falling and getting hurt.

If you really believe this I think you may be the one with a strange idea of how the world works...  Studded tires are WAY out of the price range of many people who ride out of economic necessity.

You may find this hard to believe but there are people out there who having to purchase a tire blows their whole budget.

Steve Weeks said:

Studded tires are not a "rich people" thing; they are one way to improve safety while riding on ice.

Enjoy.

It really comes down to a cost-benefit analysis. Is it worth the cost of studded tires, plus the time cost of installing and removing them, for the benefit of being able to ride 7 extra days in the winter? For most people, that answer is 'no'. We are fortunate enough to have a decent public transport system in this city and I certainly don't mind taking the 'L' on days when it's really icy. It's certainly cheaper than buying studded tires in addition to my every day tires.

$70.99 x 2 for tires vs $2.25 x 14 for the 'L'

$141.98 > $31.50

Hell, even a Divvy membership is cheaper at $75 and it's useful outside bad weather days.

You have to remember that there are people out there for whom riding a bike is not something they do because they choose to but because they have no other good transportation choice.

It is also no always practical to get there some other way.  My job take 30 minutes to cycle to, 40 minutes to get to via a mixed bike/transit commute but can be more than an hour is I rely only on transit.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

It really comes down to a cost-benefit analysis. Is it worth the cost of studded tires, plus the time cost of installing and removing them, for the benefit of being able to ride 7 extra days in the winter? For most people, that answer is 'no'. We are fortunate enough to have a decent public transport system in this city and I certainly don't mind taking the 'L' on days when it's really icy. It's certainly cheaper than buying studded tires in addition to my every day tires.

$141.98 > $31.50

Hell, even a Divvy membership is cheaper at $75 and it's useful outside bad weather days.

It's hard for many of us to remember (if we ever knew) but for many people out there the equation is much simpler than this.... expensive bike accessory that could improve my safety, or food/ shelter.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

$141.98 > $31.50

I justify my purchase of studded snow tires as being less expensive than visits to the emergency room, pharmacy, doctor follow-up and using alternative transportation for weeks.

But breaking an arm, leg or worse... no problem, I suppose? ;-)

I understand your point. But no one is forcing anyone to buy studded tires. I only said they are a way to improve safety on a bike in icy conditions. Cyclists can make choices. Personally, I would choose to stop riding in the winter if I didn't have the studded tires. YMMV.

My other point was that I don't have the power to change the weather, so to suggest that ice-related injuries are somehow my fault is a bit silly. Bring on the hostile remarks! ;-)

Steve
EDIT: what Gene said ^^

notoriousDUG said:

If you really believe this I think you may be the one with a strange idea of how the world works...  Studded tires are WAY out of the price range of many people who ride out of economic necessity.

You may find this hard to believe but there are people out there who having to purchase a tire blows their whole budget.

Steve Weeks said:

Studded tires are not a "rich people" thing; they are one way to improve safety while riding on ice.

2 decent days to ride, though extremely foggy, we'll see after tomorrow who's left.

Probably most of us.

Mike Zumwalt said:

. . . we'll see after tomorrow who's left.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service