The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

And when it is not icy and snowy, does one want the studded tires on the bike?  I really don't want to be switching out tires or wheels on a regular basis...

I don't change the tires during the winter. Sometimes this means riding on dry pavement, but it's easier than swapping wheels or bikes. And I'm *always* prepared for unpredictable weather.

h' 1.0 said:

Allright, keeping in mind that we're talking about a luxury here that many can't afford....any ideas on what we can do to make studded tires more affordable? Are you willing to organize a group buy of some sort?

I'm not in the tire business. Anyway, the number of tires would have to be huge to get any meaningful discount. Personally, I don't consider it a "luxury" just because they aren't inexpensive. I prefer to think of them as "insurance". Pro-rated over 2 or 3 winters they don't cost that much. Anyway, what's the "cost" of a broken  bone... or worse?

Steve

Does that design help in the "black ice" situation?  

Gene Tenner said:

The studded tires I use on my rear trike wheel - and when I use to two-wheel it - I leave on all winter. When there is no snow or ice, the studs to not come in contact with the road, as there are no studs in the center where the tire meets the pavement. The studs are angled out at the sides. When it snows and ice develops the studs sink in and grab the snow and ice that is above the pavement at the sides. So, swapping out wheels is unnecessary.

That is just a standard design. Nothing against Gene but there is no way those studs "don't come in contact with the road" on dry pavement-- unless he keeps his tires at 140 PSI...

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Gene Tenner said:

The studded tires I use on my rear trike wheel - and when I use to two-wheel it - I leave on all winter. When there is no snow or ice, the studs to not come in contact with the road, as there are no studs in the center where the tire meets the pavement. The studs are angled out at the sides. When it snows and ice develops the studs sink in and grab the snow and ice that is above the pavement at the sides. So, swapping out wheels is unnecessary.

That is a great question, Lisa. And the answer is that I do not know. If you have hard slick ice the tire will react to it as pavement. However, any tilt will set the studs into the ice. On my trike I have gone over flat ice and felt a spray of shaved ice land on me. I guess if you let a little air out of your tires it could help. I defer to two-wheelers who might have better knowledge of this.

h' 1.0 said:

That is just a standard design. Nothing against Gene but there is no way those studs "don't come in contact with the road" on dry pavement-- unless he keeps his tires at 140 PSI...

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Gene Tenner said:

The photo was just an exmple, not the ones I use or recommend.

h' 1.0 said:

I'm sure those studs will be in contact with the surface at proper inflation pressure and, yes, they would help on "black ice". The tires I use are Schwalbe "Marathon Winter", and they have studs all over the tread so they might be a bit noisier but probably have better grip.

The thing about traction is that it's limited by the strength of the ice itself. Once the studs are gripping the ice, any "horizontal" force on the stud can cause it to "rip" through the ice. This means you'll get somewhat better cornering and braking performance on harder (colder) ice. It's still not like rubber on dry pavement, but you retain the majority of your traction and control.

Steve

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

I had the exact same experience. Most days I take Clark from uptown and it is very clear in the am and at night when I come home. I don't remember not biking any days because of snow/ice.  The city does a great job on the streets I bike on.  The precipitation in snow or ice form is never an issue

Like you, I had my first fall last week when there was ice at night. I just wasn't expecting it.

Andrew Wians said:

My general rule for winter riding is that I do not ride when it has been snowing and accumulating for more than an hour before my commute or journey.  Days of active snowfall are the only ones I skip because if the snow itself isn't a problem for you, the ice and slush underneath created by plowing is.  On days where it's forcasted to snow, but hasn't started at the time of my trip, I'll still ride my bike and just throw it on the bus bike rack for the return trip if necessary.  The next day after snowfall in this city is usually back to business for me.  The city traffic overnight has most likely bored down to the paved surface again, and the salt/sand from the plows has melted any ice or at least created some traction.  With this plan, I successfully made it through the entire 2012-13 Chicago winter on my bike, using CTA only 7 days total.  Not bad, I think!  Also - tires with treads.  I really don't want to put the track bike away and pull out the Trek mountain but it's time - my one black ice spill spill last week needs to be my last.  And finally, layers! Important so that you can remove then as you get hotter (no matter how cold it is out there, you WILL get hot the longer you ride so layers are key).

Some great riding weather for December!

Kind of foggy... but no ice!

Steve

Domenica Cresap said:

It should warm the cockles of your heart to know I rode Studly to work today (I got him ready when it started raining last night, and, well, he was just so ready this morning...)

Steve Weeks said:

Kind of foggy... but no ice!

Steve

Domenica Cresap said:

Dammit, I missed Domenica Cresap-O'Clock by 45 minutes!

You mean you put studded tires on? :-)

I just came in from the garage after getting my beater folder set up with the Marathon Winters. Bring that ice on!

Cheers,

Steve

h' 1.0 said:

It should warm the cockles of your heart to know I rode Studly to work today (I got him ready when it started raining last night, and, well, he was just so ready this morning...)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service