The Chainlink

In the past few weeks I have been rolling south to Wolf Lake via the LFT and Burnham Greenway for a quarter century quickie and have had repeated encounters with deer along Eggers Woods and the William Powers Conservation Area (Wolf Lake.)  Yesterday afternoon found me racing a buck for a hundred yards or so until a jogger coming from the opposite direction caused the deer to abruptly cut and dash into the brush.  The jogger was nonplussed.  

Last week, I was racing along admiring THREE deer traipsing in Eggers Woods when suddenly a rabbit emerges onto the path.  Before I could even touch my brakes, the startled bunny goes airborne, hurling pass me like a furry missile at chest level and missing me by about a foot.  Defensively, I excitedly shouted "Shit!" in utter surprise and amazement and then started laughing.

Also a week ago, on a midnight ride along the length of the LFT and owning the path (encountering two other cyclists the entire 36 mile roundtrip), I came onto a racoon who was very casually sauntering across the path adjacent to the Sledding Hill at Soldier Field.  "Just out for a stroll, gov'nor."  Numerous bunnies were also spotted in this vicinity, natch.  Didn't see any coyotes, but I know they're out there.  

The only occasion so far in which I have across a coyote face to face while biking was a few Octobers ago in some open/vacant "urban prairie" down around 99th Street (behind the 103rd Steet CTA garage terminal) between Stony Island and a railroad corridor -- a likely place indeed.  I did see one while driving by at 116th and Torrence some years ago.

Now you share.

Views: 742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen that great blue heron on more than one occasion.  Last time I saw the heron, in fact, it was being chased mid flight across the pond/lagoon by a red winged black bird! So cool!

T.K. 3.5 mi said:

There is at least one great blue heron that lives in Humboldt Park near the bridge to the northwest of the formal garden. Ive seen it wading silently at night . (sleeping maybe) Always very cool, and I will often go out of my way to look for it.

We saw a coyote during the middle of the day behind Calumet Fisheries during the perimeter ride. It looked very well fed...

Feral kitties, everywhere. 

Speaking of the feral, a few years ago I ran into a pack of wild dogs while riding along the unmarked road which runs between the two rail lines between Front Avenue and Cottage Grove around 116th/117th (north end of Riverdale Community Area.) 

Um.... raccoons wearing diapers?

Chitown_Mike said:

I ride part of the NBT after dusk (and after it closes, but it is legal according to the CCFP) and deal with some HUUUGGEEE raccoons and such.

That's happened to me, too, fortunately without any actual collisions.

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

I've had frequent run-ins with deer along the North Branch Trail, a near collision once.

Been there. Real off-road riding. ;) Now that's off the beaten path.

curt(is) locke said:

Speaking of the feral, a few years ago I ran into a pack of wild dogs while riding along the unmarked road which runs between the two rail lines between Front Avenue and Cottage Grove around 116th/117th (north end of Riverdale Community Area.) 

Early this summer I spied an egret along the banks of the Calumet River south of 130th (across from the Ford Plant.)  Two weeks ago I encountered two pair of swans gracefully floating atop the marsh along the Illinois/Indiana state line near 116th/117th Street (Eggers Woods.)

I've seen egrets and great blue herons many times on bike rides in the area around Lake Calumet. I've also seen swans at Wolf Lake. Wetland areas in the SE corner of the city are popular with local birders, especially during migration seasons.

In Beverly, I see many bird species, including several species of hawks. Coyotes visit my block often. I've seen deer and red foxes close to home. Raccoons, rabbits and possums come to our yard regularly.

Yes, much of the same mix here in Hyde Park (unfortunately I have not encountered any red foxes, but we DO have beavers working over in Jackson Park.)  However, I'm looking for stories of encounters with wild life while cycling.  I'm sure the Major Taylor Trail must provide opportunities.

Anne Alt said:

I've seen egrets and great blue herons many times on bike rides in the area around Lake Calumet. I've also seen swans at Wolf Lake. Wetland areas in the SE corner of the city are popular with local birders, especially during migration seasons.

In Beverly, I see many bird species, including several species of hawks. Coyotes visit my block often. I've seen deer and red foxes close to home. Raccoons, rabbits and possums come to our yard regularly.

The GWT??  Google Web Toolkit?

Hyde Park's iconic Monk Parakeet population has declined dramatically in recent years.  However, during this time of decline I have come across a loud colony that has established itself underneath the Chicago Skyway between Ewing and Avenue L.

I think they've spread out a lot. Each year I see several nests along the Major Taylor Trail. The colony you mention under the Skyway around Ewing/100th/Avenue L has gotten larger and more raucous over the last several years. There are colonies in Evergreen Park not far from Little Company of Mary Hospital. They visit Beverly often, but I haven't found a colony in the neighborhood. I've also seen colonies in Blue Island, near Wolf Lake and as far west as Berwyn.

curt(is) locke said:

Hyde Park's iconic Monk Parakeet population has declined dramatically in recent years.  However, during this time of decline I have come across a loud colony that has established itself underneath the Chicago Skyway between Ewing and Avenue L.

Encountered mama deer and fawn over the summer at the Brookfield Trail with my daughter. Managed to take a pic. We also encountered a flattened chip munk and snake which I think she was more excited about.
Attachments:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service