The Chainlink

Share your pics, videos, streets, stories of what you find in the bike lane of the non-bike variety that has an impact on your ride and/or your safety. I've decided to keep it a little more open ended - cars, snow, buses, garbage, cabs, etc. If they shouldn't be in the bike lane, go ahead and add it to this thread. Please be safe if you are taking pics or video! :-) 

My hope is that we can collectively build some evidence of what we see when riding in the city with the overall hope of better enforcement of "bikes only" and improving maintenance. 

Update: More Hashtags to Capture Vehicles in the Bike Lane

With popular hashtags:
#BikeLaneShaming

#LaneSpreading (Chicago Bike Selling)

#ClearTheWay (ActiveTrans), there are many options to capture violations.

We think you should use ALL of them AND post your photos on The Chainlink. ;-)

Views: 83384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

75 S Franklin St. 311 reports submitted.

23 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted.

225 N Franklin St. 311 reports submitted. Five violators in five minutes. Don't tell me the city's Finance Dept. is taking this seriously.

84 E. Washington St.

No photos or video from yesterday morning - had to yell at an Uber who was merging on to me right at 84 E. Washington St. Not looking for cyclists, no nothing... I had to yell STOP! (I was about to get doored - right side) It's A BIKE LANE! passenger and driver freaked out of course.

This morning, same spot, Uber parked on the bike lane, I yelled for him to move as he was texting. Got honked. 

I was on my way to work this morning and came apon a person getting out of a car parked in the bike lane. I heard the beep indicating the doors were locked meaning this wasn't a quick drop-off. I said "You know you can be towed if you park there." She said "I ain't gonna be towed. " and walked away. I knew she was right, sadly.

298 N Wells St. 311 report submitted.

225 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted.

Sadly, I didn't realize that yesterday I submitted my 600th 311 report since the new code was added in April 2017. In total. I've documented over 750 violations since I started biking to work in January 2017. It's a lot like banging your head on a brick wall, except there is no hope satisfaction.

Careful out there. Wabash south of Roosevelt on my way home today. 

Yikes! You should have an air horn. :-)

I gave a police officer a "ticket" today. I happened to be carrying a copy of MCC 9-40-060 in my pocket when I came upon a squad car parked in the bike lane in front of the police academy on Jackson. I had to stop because there was heavy eastbound traffic at the moment. The officer was there, so I said "You see how I have to stop when you're parked here?" He said something about a K-9 activity necessitating him stopping there. I said "Here's your ticket!" and handed him the ordinance and thanked him. It was a very cordial exchange. And probably pointless.

400 N Dearborn St. 311 report submitted.

13 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted.

111 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service