The Chainlink

I rode to work this morning and it seems like I'll have a damp ride home.  I heard there was a chance of rain this afternoon, but I decided to risk it. So my question to you: What % chance of rain keeps you off your bike?  And who do you trust for weather predictions?

Views: 1592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a 30% chance of rain or greater makes me be sure to pack the rain protection kit, that's about it. 

My Ortlieb panniers are the best bicycling investment I've ever made.  They've never let me down.

i don't mind rain. i just don't ride when there is lightening. =D

Jennifer said:

The way I see it, trusting the forecast is like trusting that you won't be hit by a car.

If it's raining at the moment, hard, I sometimes get lazy and take PT.  But if it's just a prediction, for later, and I don't have to do an event where I'm decently dressed, I ride.  I always keep my rain gear in one pannier, so I don't even have to plan ahead.  Just put on those dorky pants and that orange jacket and I'm good to go in the rain.  Kind of like it sometimes: last Tuesday was pleasant enough from Evanston to the Hopleaf to Rogers Park. 

My coworkers frequently make fun of me when I'm dressed in full rain gear, but I'd rather be a dry dork than get soaked.

Bill Savage said:

Just put on those dorky pants and that orange jacket and I'm good to go in the rain.

im also out there regardless of conditions.  wind may be the only thing that really pisses me off. but i still push through. and lightening does scare the fuck of me while on a bike.  i feel like im in a steel canoe in a middle of a lake in a storm.

on the fender note...

i need someone REALLY crafty to help me figure out how to nicely fender up my bike.  ive accepted the muddy skunk stripe, but would love to remedy that. its a strange frame and strange buildup on a MTB frame with 26" wheels.

anyone up for a challenge?

Go with SKS Chromoplastic fenders. They are apparently a pain to install, so I took them to my LBS and they put them on for me.

Unless you have one of those suspension seat frames that don't have a seat tube. Then I'm not sure.

igz said:

im also out there regardless of conditions.  wind may be the only thing that really pisses me off. but i still push through.

on the fender note...

i need someone REALLY crafty to help me figure out how to nicely fender up my bike.  ive accepted the muddy skunk stripe, but would love to remedy that. its a strange frame and strange buildup on a MTB frame with 26" wheels.

You just need more specialized rain gear:

Will V. said:

I hate to admit it, but I'm part cat when it comes to riding in the rain. I hate it. Even if I'm wearing rain gear, I hate it.

[snip]

ya, those wont work either. thanks tho. youd have to see it to understand. different issues for front and back. a 'set' will never work.

Adam Herstein said:

Go with SKS Chromoplastic fenders. They are apparently a pain to install, so I took them to my LBS and they put them on for me.

Unless you have one of those suspension seat frames that don't have a seat tube. Then I'm not sure.

igz said:

im also out there regardless of conditions.  wind may be the only thing that really pisses me off. but i still push through.

on the fender note...

Just out of curiosity, can you post a picture of your bike? My guess is that no matter how complex it is, a good mechanic should be able to accommodate your frame.

igz said:

ya, those wont work either. thanks tho. youd have to see it to understand. different issues for front and back. a 'set' will never work.

Adam Herstein said:

igz said:

on the fender note...

As for the rain in the face question, when it's raining I put a baseball cap under my helmet.  The large bill keeps my glasses dry enough unless I'm riding straight into heavy winds w/the rain.  And yes, better a dry dork than a soaked to the skin fashionista.  Though I will say that in very warm weather, I'll take getting all wet.  Just slow down, keep the lights on, and enjoy the weather.

I have racks front and back which act as pseudo-fenders, both with milk crates and panniers (shopping cart with pedals, basically) On the rear one,  there's a slight overhang between wheel and crate which can cause trouble on the wettest of days.

To solve that problem, in McGyver-like fashion, I measured the overhang and cut a section of old tire, stretched out the edges,  cut holes on the corners of the tire section and with zip-ties mounted it to base the crate. No skunk stripes ever! (I don't get much splashing for the uncovered part of the tires either).

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service