The Chainlink

Anyone else notice some weird signs in the Dearborn PBL just south of Washington this morning? They say "Stop for Pedestrians" or something like that. They are sitting on the ground in the bike lane. I didn't stop to investigate closely, but I don't think there's even a curb cut there? It struck me as a bit strange. It was right by the Blue Line entrance/exit (on the west side of Dearborn obviously).

Anyone know if this is a CDOT initiative?

Views: 4422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Justin.....Justin, would you please stand up? That was fast.

http://justinhaugens.tumblr.com/post/50510526843/hey-chicagodot-wha...

I went out for a walk today around 1:00.  I dress in business attire, like the older female I am.  As I passed Trattoria 10 there was a gentleman in a business suit stepping into the Dearborn PBL to move one sign from the parking area back into the bike lane and to right the second sign that had been knocked over.

Me:  Excuse me, but did the city give authority for those signs?

Gentleman in suit:  shakes head no.

Me:  Why are you putting them in the bike lane?  It is a moving lane of traffic.

G/S:  At night we have valet parking here and the bikes go flying by without stopping.

Me:  But it is a bicycle lane.  There is no pedestrian crossing here.

G/S:  Well the city did not do anything to protect the people getting out of cars.

Me:  Isn't that something you should take up with the city?

G/S:  So you have a problem with me putting these signs here?

Me:  Yes.  They block the bike lane.

G/S:  Picks up signs and moves toward entrance to restaurant.

Me:  Thank you!

Of course, I fully expect he waited until I was out of sight and put them back, but I hope having a polite conversation with someone who looked like a possible customer had some impact.

We will just have to stay tuned to see what happens in the next episode.

Well done Lisa! Next time you decide to do something like that, would you please let me know? I'd like to video it.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

I went out for a walk today around 1:00.  I dress in business attire, like the older female I am.  As I passed Trattoria 10 there was a gentleman in a business suit stepping into the Dearborn PBL to move one sign from the parking area back into the bike lane and to right the second sign that had been knocked over.

Me:  Why are you putting them in the bike lane?  It is a moving lane of traffic.

G/S:  At night we have valet parking here and the bikes go flying by without stopping.

G/S:  Well the city did not do anything to protect the people getting out of cars.

Of course, I fully expect he waited until I was out of sight and put them back, but I hope having a polite conversation with someone who looked like a possible customer had some impact.

You know I don't believe in media attention. :-)

Kevin C said:

Well done Lisa! Next time you decide to do something like that, would you please let me know? I'd like to video it.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Sounds like the signs have been removed.  CDOT posted this on Twitter: "Those signs should not be placed in the bike lane. We sent an inspector out, and the signs were removed. #bikechi

Best,

Jim Merrell

Active Trans

Good job guys. We did it!

Lisa and Active Trans: Thanks for helping in resolving this.

No credit here.  I think it was Justin, Active Trans, and the CDOT inspector.

Duppie & Lisa, you're both wrong. It was Adam. He said so himself.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

No credit here.  I think it was Justin, Active Trans, and the CDOT inspector.

This is a great outcome. Yay!

When this thread arrived I thought it might be about the bike signal triggering sign at the southern terminus of the Dearborn PBL. Does that actually work? And if so, where is one supposed to be to trigger it?

Kevin C said:

Duppie & Lisa, you're both wrong. It was Adam. He said so himself.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Good job guys. We did it!

:-)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service