The Chainlink

I've been "shoaled" and I just don't understand it. I've never done it myself. Is there anyone in our midst that is a shoaler or shoaler reformed?

I believe the definition is: passing the faster rider (that just past you) at the light while he/she is politely set back from the intersection and waiting for the light only to be passed by the faster rider once more after the light changes. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Views: 3196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People seem to get annoyed with me when I move to the front at the intersection. But they never pass me after I do it.... What's strange to me is when people see me do that but then they shoal me at the next light?

Personally, when I approach a red light I assume that anyone in front of me is faster than me. When the light changes I'll pass slower riders when it is safe to do so. I'm sure this has happened to all of us, I don't like being shoaled so I try not to do it to anyone else.

This is best. If you're faster pass them properly. Shoaling is the same as a car that will veer right into a turning zone then try to 'ace out' through traffic, usually jumping the light in the process.

+1 for dabodayouse

Divvy shoalers are the best. I think it boils down to a lack of awareness of others or just plain ignorance.

Super annoying when slow riders do this at every. damn. light! For the people that are faster, you probably are but if not, you're just another shoaler.

My new commute includes Elston to Diversey, a lot less shoaling (and riders in general) than Milwaukee. Elston is like the adult version of #bikechi.

Elston trumps Milwaukee in the bike-friendliness category on all counts except for "places you actually want to go to late at night with your friends," alas.

But I love hanging out in strip mall parking lots... Very true, not many restaurant or night life opportunities along Elston but the commute is nice. 

It's a mixed blessing indeed. I go with Elston with the bike, Blue Line or #56 if socializing and libations are involved,and/or a Crazy Town weekend time zone is involved.

well, give a try to Prop Theatre, Chief O'Neills, Abbey Pub, and Elston so very close for reaching Links Hall/Constellation in the recent construction mess at Western/Belmont. Elston sure is the way to go, esp to the Loop w/o headaches.

All stellar establishments for sure, but as I've gotten older I've gotten increasingly wary of combining cycling and drinking as I don't like to lose any reflex capabilities, and as there are just too many distracted drivers staring at their phones these days.

I will check em out. Just moved to Avondale from (7 years in) Ukrainian Village so I have a lot of exploring to do.

Cyclists and drivers behave the same way - they want to be as far forward on their journey as possible.  Drivers stop not before crosswalks, but straddling them.  When I'm driving, I don't block the box - so often the driver behind goes around me and does it.  Shoaling is the same stupid thing.  It's not about who rides faster or slower.  It's about the dopey notion that you will get there faster if you stop farther forward.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service