The Chainlink

Is it just me or do you find yourself breathing in a lot of second hand smoke when locking up your bike? It seems like a lot of smokers like to lean up against the bike racks when taking "smoke breaks". I don't know what the solution would be, guess I'm just looking to vent and discuss.

It's extra annoying to me when combined with factors that may increase my "lock up" time. I use 2 cables and 2 u locks on the bike I'm riding today, for example. That combined with taking off my bike lights and any other steal able items (ie. unloading bike baskets) leads to that much more 2nd hand smoke exposure.

Views: 726

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the good suggestions. I might just end up selling since coming special assessments will put me out on the streets looking for a more affordable healthier environment.

For me its the smokers who huddle around the door to the bike room in my building. Its brief, but still an annoyance since I'm breathing a little harder at the end of my ride. Especially since these people are breaking the law. There's even a plaque right next to the door that says they have to be 15 feet away from the building entrance. I've spoken with building management and to some of the smokers themselves with moderate success

It's annoying, sure, but just another entry on the list of annoying things I recognize I have to deal with to live in a major city.  Chose to live around 2.3 million people, and you're going to get annoyed about how 600,000 to 700,000 act around you somewhat frequently.

....and IMHO, on the other extreme, I had a friend move to SF (and, the shame, he's a smoker), and people would literally give him dirty looks and say crazy things even when he was 20 feet away from them outside a bar and trying hard not to be around anyone else while he took a few quick drags.  

You can please all of the people some of the time,

You can please some of the people all of the time,

But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I don't find it a problem - I like the smell of burning tobacco.  It's better than the smell of burning gasoline.  Just find another bike rack.

Maybe we should look at it from a design POV. Both smoker spaces and biker spaces are added to the local landscape as an afterthought.

Very true.

My MO is to walk my bike directly at the smoker who is leaning on the rack, even if there is another space available. After a couple of seconds, they realize that they're leaning on a parking space, and invariably say "sorry" and move way the hell out of my way.  YMMV

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service