The Chainlink

Most of us who use this PBL have probably experienced a pedestrian stepping in front of us against the light.  Now, there are a lot of words that might come out of your mouth in that situation.  The ones that I prefer to use now are, "Please look up! Please don't get hurt!"

After I said this a few nights ago, the woman who stepped in front of me actually smiled and confessed that she had perhaps had one too many drinks.  We then had a friendly conversation.

On some occasions, I've also said nothing, and just ridden up to the person standing in the PBL and stared at them silently.  Sometimes they've done nothing; other times they've realized that my light is green, theirs is red, and then jumped back on the sidewalk, sometimes smiling or apologizing.

Your strategies?  Your results?

Views: 2533

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've learned that it's best to just let it slide at the moment and report them via 311 later. I've had a few encounters with cabbies who cut me off and what ends up happening is they get pissed and try to run me over. It's not worth it.

Glenn Bradford said:

...and they wouldn't care if they did hear, but, I feel like its my responsibility to stand up for the bike lane. :)

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Taxi drivers can't hear you yelling.

Glenn Bradford said:

I also give a yell to taxis and cars double parked in the bike lane: "You're in a bike lane!" I tend to yell that in a not-so-friendly tone since it forces cyclists into traffic.

Pulling out your phone and taking pictures seems to get their attention, if not always a desired response...

What exactly happens to a 311 report of a taxi sitting in a bike lane?

I thought they sent you a physical form to fill out and send in?

I've learned that it's best to just let it slide at the moment and report them via 311 later. I've had a few encounters with cabbies who cut me off and what ends up happening is they get pissed and try to run me over. It's not worth it.

Glenn Bradford said:

...and they wouldn't care if they did hear, but, I feel like its my responsibility to stand up for the bike lane. :)

Glenn Bradford said:

I also give a yell to taxis and cars double parked in the bike lane: "You're in a bike lane!" I tend to yell that in a not-so-friendly tone since it forces cyclists into traffic.

You can report it all on line now and attaching photos is encouraged.

https://servicerequest.cityofchicago.org/web_intake_chic/Controller...

h' 1.0 said:

Pulling out your phone and taking pictures seems to get their attention, if not always a desired response...

Glenn Bradford said:

Glenn Bradford said:

Yeah!!!!

Lisa Curcio 6.5 mi said:

As a bike messenger I deal with the Cellphone lane on Dearborn on a regular basis. First off i do not use this lane during rush periods. I find with high speeds biking with traffic is quicker and safer depending on your destination. I always carry a whistle to warn the groups of people stepping into the lane hastily j walking at intersections. Honestly i am a menace  when it comes to obeying traffic laws but when i really need to get the point of a bike lane across nothing is more effective than a good silent near miss. The gust of wind that follows a messenger will surely remind them to always look both ways when stepping off a curb. 

From the cars and trucks speeding out of alleys, pedestrians with their nose deep in cell phones, and bike commuters I leave this beautiful protected bike lane to them.

When you're right you're right. . I wouldnt certainly not do such a thing with kids present.

Jeff Schneider said:

I would reconsider using that tactic.  You can never be completely sure what others will do.  Your planned "near miss" could turn into a collision.  And a collision that might not harm a healthy young adult could be pretty serious for the frail or small kids.

Sam Gaitán said:

Honestly i am a menace  when it comes to obeying traffic laws but when i really need to get the point of a bike lane across nothing is more effective than a good silent near miss. The gust of wind that follows a messenger will surely remind them to always look both ways when stepping off a curb.

Just used this feature recently - I didn't realize it was new. I had an encounter with a cab driver who drove into the Dearborn lane, nearly hitting me, sat there at an angle while a few other bikes swerved around into traffic, then argued with a pedestrian and hotel doorman before eventually threatening to run me over and exiting the lane. Good riddance. I'll post an update if the city actually does anything about it - I sent the complaint via web, and they sent back paperwork to basically fill out the entire form again...

Lisa Curcio 6.5 mi said:

h' 1.0 said:

Glenn Bradford said:

Glenn Bradford said:

I usually say "head's up, HEAD'S UP!" for any pedestrian who looks clueless (i.e. texting, looking at feet, seeming confused).  For people who are standing in the bike lane to get a jump on the crosswalk light, I usually ring my bell.  I also try to politely remind them "don't forget the bike lane is two ways here."

I've found that if I ring my bell for the clueless types, they don't "get it" in time to make a meaningful difference.  If I holler "head's up!" they typically jump to respond.

FWIW, I'm not a crazy speedster on a bike.  My general pace is about 10 mph, and probably significantly less in the Dearborn lane.

Off topic:  has anyone else noticed what a difference it makes going Southbound as far as the timing of the lights goes?  I end up stopping at every block due to the red lights.  <sigh>

I have found that when stopped, southbound, at Wacker, I almost always make it through Lake, stop at Randolph, make it through Washington, stop at Madison. Not too bad.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service