The Chainlink

Passenger of SUV blocking bike lane throws liquid on cyclists

Contributor Submitted:

"I stopped in front of the vehicle to take a picture of the lady blocking the bike lane. I noticed afterwards that the that I caught the attacker in the picture. He is to the right of the car in the blue jacket. This was right out of OTC on Clinton, about 200 ft from the station. He got in my face about taking pictures of his girl's car. I told her that she was in the bike lane. He continued to escalate, and here are some pictures of him.After a few choice words, they drove out of the bike lane and proceeded down the road. The light at madison was red and as I got to that light, this guy was waiting there and threw what I hope was orange juice all over me. At this point, I ran after him and he ran back into this car. I stood in front of the car to try and hold them there until someone could come on the scene, and the woman started driving, trying to run me over. I got hit by their car and went rolling, and had some road rash on my knee and I tore my jacket. Here is the video of the fluid being thrown on me. The video was taken by another rider, who told me that she has a helmet cam because she had been chased down the road previously. I made a police report and a detective reached out to me about 2 weeks later. I gave him all of this and they still do not know who this was or who the woman was. "

Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJmW9Em1Uk&feature=youtu.be

Link to Thread with more images: https://twitter.com/bikelaneuprise/status/1106725047316738050

Views: 1599

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The reality is that most drivers are ignorant of the law, and also do not care much about the safety of cyclists and pedestrians.

Also a reality is that CPD reflects the attitudes of the general (driving) population.  Do not expect them to care about driver assaults on cyclists.

As a vulnerable road user, I feel it is wiser to avoid conflict at almost any cost.  You may desire to educate drivers and even the CPD, but trying to do it on the street is not likely to be successful.

+1 Paul.  I agree.  Good points as usual.  Chicago is the city where you have to have 'clout.'   And SUV drivers have more clout than we do:  'Might makes right!'

And thanks John for the Streetsblog article.  Unfortuntely Streetsblog has been posting pertinent stories like this for many years.  Here's one (with a lot of interesting comments) from 2017 by Angie Schmitt in Florida about the SUV mentality and the car industry that concludes:

....In 2000, DaimlerChrysler [said that for SUV drivers], ”It’s not safety as the issue, it’s aggressiveness, it’s the ability to go off the road.” Research also showed that SUV owners drive faster and place a lower value on being courteous on the road...

While I certainly have to agree about SUV's and the aggressive, discourteous attitudes their drivers have, from what I've witnessed on the streets and highways (either on a bike or in a car) those driving a certain German made car with a three-letter name are either as bad or far worse.

As well as a certain German made car with a 4-letter name....

Stereotyping like this, while basically harmless, is also a bit ridiculous. 

Sometimes stereotypes are the products of observation.

And that's the origin of these comments about certain German made cars - observations about the behavior of a significant portion of their overly entitled drivers.

What a chickensh*t stunt pulled by the "man" / passenger. Laughable, really. And yet, I would have struggled with the impulse to respond by removing the vehicle's mirror as I rolled by.

Cooper:

Some terms and grammar from an English class you may have slept through:

"Those people": the people in the pictures. "Those":plural demonstrative pronoun, singular form: "that." BTW: Easily identifiable by any police who cared owing to the license plate and auto in the picture.

"packing heat": common slang for "gun-toting." An all too common condition in American society that crosses "racial" lines.

Riddle me this: is the OP a "racist" because they posted pictures of an assault by non-caucasian people? If the persons ("those people") pictured happened to be caucasian ("white") would you have called racism?

"Or, just end the discussion by calling me a troll."

-i hadn't called you that, but if the cap fits, wear it.

All very correct, and all very beside the point.

For example:

fam·i·ly val·ues
noun.  Values held to be traditionally learned or reinforced within a family, such as those of high moral standards and discipline.
See also - "gay people are an abomination," "women should stay at home and cook and clean," "abortion is murder."  
shy·lock
  (shī′lŏk′)
n.
A ruthless moneylender; a loan shark.\
see also, "money-grubbing jew."  
ur·ban
adjective.  in, relating to, or characteristic of a town or city
see also "black people, particularly in reference to crime and danger."
and here's a compound word!!
wel·fare
noun.  statutory procedure or social effort designed to promote the basic physical and material well-being of people in need.
and
queen
noun.  the female ruler of an independent state, especially one who inherits the position by right of birth.
See also "welfare queen," "the black woman stealing your hard-earned tax money to buy steaks and drive a cadillac."
Don't play sanctimonious and dumb.

And to answer your questions, no and no.  For similar reasons as suggested above.

You didn't call me a troll, but someone else did (to you, I think).

I called "troll." And it was directed towards you, Coop. At least that's how you read when you jumped in. As for being an attorney, your contributions here so far are underwhelmingly cogent. And what's your real agenda, er, motive here? Truth, clarity, understanding or throwing some stink bombs?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service