The Chainlink

Oh Dearborn! A virtual tour of Chicago's first 2-way protected bike lane

Did you blink yesterday? If so you missed CDOT painting the "game-changing" new 2-way protected bike lane on Dearborn Street from Polk Street to the Chicago River. The striping is already complete, although the lane won't be ready to ride until the flexible posts, signs and bike-specific traffic signals are done. Here's a virtual tour of the new facility so far:

http://gridchicago.com/2012/oh-my-dearborn-the-2-way-protected-bike...

Keep moving forward,

John Greenfield

Views: 4044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are these lanes open today?

Good point.  This hotel is a difficult spot.  I hope there will be extra signage along the lines of the Copenhagen sign John posted above.

Lisa Curcio said:

I think this is true.  And given that it is downtown where there are always people driving and walking who are not "regulars" it will always be a problem at some level.   I am still very excited about this lane.

Another area that I think is going to require some caution is the driveway at the hotel just north of the river.  Of course, when there are not parked cabs blocking the view of drivers and cyclists that might be better!  Anyone know whether the cab stand will still be there albeit on the east side of the bike lane?

No. They won't be ready to ride until the bollards, signs and dedicated bike stoplights are ready, by mid-December if the weather holds out. Until then riding the lanes is probably illegal and (especially southbound) strictly at-your-own-risk. Seriously, if you attempt to ride the lanes southbound be super-careful to look out for cars and peds because they won't be looking for you. Not recommended.

They won't be officially open until signage is in place and new stoplights are activated.  There are construction horses in the lanes now.

in it to win it said:

No.  I just took a walk to have an "up close and personal look" at them.  There are barricades across them at both ends of the blocks.  The horses seem to be only in the northbound lane for the most part, so other than going around the barricades at every intersection I think one could ride in them.

A couple of observations:

Riding in these lanes is going to require caution.  Think the lane on Kinzie divided in half.  If there are cyclists going both directions there is no room to pass.  Also, unlike two way streets where the passengers' doors are on the bike lane side this has the drivers' doors on the bike lane side.  Plastic bollards are not going to stop drivers from opening their doors into the bike lane.  The "buffer" between bike lane and parking is very narrow.

At the eastbound streets there are huge bikes with a left turn arrow painted in the middle of  the street.

Overheard on the sidewalk at the Daley Center:  Four young men (guessing 20s to 30s) and one points at the street and says:  "Did you see this?". 2nd young man: "Yeah! Awesome!".  3rd young man: "I don't know man . . .".  I missed the rest of the discussion.

in it to win it said:

Please post any further developments in this thread.  Thanks. 

Lisa Curcio said:

Overheard on the sidewalk at the Daley Center:  Four young men (guessing 20s to 30s) and one points at the street and says:  "Did you see this?". 2nd young man: "Yeah! Awesome!".  3rd young man: "I don't know man . . .".  I missed the rest of the discussion.

I don't know, that's a pretty big if. People are so anxious to cross the street, as long as there's not a car many folks will make a run for it.

John Greenfield said:

but if people obey their walk signals they should be fine.

It will take a few days to get used to a new traffic pattern, being accustomed to riding really fast on that street to Madison for work in the west loop. Wondering how my commute timing will change.

For now and maybe after it is complete, I might stick to my Harrison route if it takes too long.

I just had to laugh on my way home on Dearborn.  Barricades and horses everywhere, and for the most part the car drivers were seeming to "get it".  Except for the one guy in front of Petterinos/Goodman in the big black fancy car who seemed to think that they had barricaded the former parking/loading zone now bike lanes just for him!  He backed from the now parking lanes (in which other people actually had parked) into the now bike lane. I really was tempted to stop and ask him if he thought they were saving the entire street for him, but decided I did not have time and that he was not worth the aggravation.

Turn arrows should help to prevent conflicts with cars.

Mark said:

Riders will need to be extra cautious riding south in this PBL.  Drivers and pedestrians will not be looking for southbound traffic on Dearborn.

Lanes for bikes look very narrow...

They are narrow.  I think the entire width for both lanes is the same as the lane on Kinzie or maybe just a little bigger.  It will not be possible to pass in the lane of travel.  The division between lanes is marked with a "dotted" yellow line except at intersections where it is solid, so I think it is anticipated that passing will occur in the oncoming lane when safe to do so.  

Juan, I think it is not going to be a place to ride fast.

in it to win it said:

Lanes for bikes look very narrow...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service