The Chainlink

Oh Dearborn! A virtual tour of Chicago's first 2-way protected bike lane

Did you blink yesterday? If so you missed CDOT painting the "game-changing" new 2-way protected bike lane on Dearborn Street from Polk Street to the Chicago River. The striping is already complete, although the lane won't be ready to ride until the flexible posts, signs and bike-specific traffic signals are done. Here's a virtual tour of the new facility so far:

http://gridchicago.com/2012/oh-my-dearborn-the-2-way-protected-bike...

Keep moving forward,

John Greenfield

Views: 4044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As of 8:30 this morning, they were not in place.

122782_ said:

Any update on the bridge plates?  Still waiting on those?

All this swerving! You guys don't have brakes or what? The lanes have been more or less working fine for me so far. Perhaps I've just been lucky...

Adam Herstein said:

I agree completely. Just this morning, a man was sitting in his parked SUV, blocking the entire lane and refused to move it out of the way. I also nearly ran over a woman who was dashing across the lane on a don't walk sign because I was swerving out of the way of a different woman who was standing in the southbound lane.

Just Will said:

After riding it three/four times, I can say that I have avoided this bike lane.
All of those times, I've had to dodge people walking and not looking, people just standing, taxi cabs standing, people standing waiting for lights, cars swerving in and out of the lanes.... Etc.
You may argue that's the same as everything else. I agree, but on this lane if I were going south bound, it's hard for me to swerve out of the way. Northbound isn't exactly easy either.
I want to obey the rule and stay in my lane, but the aggravations the above mentioned caused me, I'd rather take the open street with a sharrow anytime.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service