The Chainlink

Our team at the MBAC meeting just let us know that Elston (Division to North) and 18th (Clinton to Clark) will be the next protected bike lanes by the end of this year!

Thanks, CDOT!

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

Views: 4925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It will also give them some experience building them before trying to tackle the harder roads.

Duppie said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that the location of these bike lanes has to do with feasibility more than need.

Of the four bike lanes announced three are on streets that have relatively few residents and or retail businesses, so there is no one around to complain. Smart moves by the respective aldermen that carries little political risk

If that's the case, I guess we can look forward to miles of protected lanes in failed industrial corridors where there's no one left to care.  I look forward to feeling safe from cars while riding back and forth past the Brach's factory...

Duppie said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that the location of these bike lanes has to do with feasibility more than need.

Not clear who you're responding to, sorry  . . .

Tim S said:
Do you think that those will ever be realized? Those are some tough streets to convert.

soud'side said:
Not clear who you're responding to, sorry  . . .

Tim S said:
Do you think that those will ever be realized? Those are some tough streets to convert.

That was for Duppie
Do any of these streets even have room for an actual bike lane let alone a protected bike lane?

Tim S said:
That's what I'm saying.

Some of those streets are tight enough, no room to "Kinzie" them.

My point exactly. You think the backlash against the Kinzie lane was bad? Try converting any of the ones mentioned above. Retailers will complain about loosing customers and residents will complain about losing after hours parking space. You think an alderman will risk the backlash from his/her constituents?

I'd like to see somebody step up and spend that political capital.

Tim S said:

Trying to follow but it's hard to tell if people are referring to 18th and Elston or to something else mentioned in the course of the thread.
I fear that protected lanes are going to be created only where there is adequate existing room to fit them within the existing street boundaries — precisely the places where they are least needed.  Covering the grating on the 18th Street bridge will be nice, though.
There is plenty of room on most of that part of Elston (at least on the Division end). The truckers at Morton Salt, etc. and yahoos at McGrath probably won't like it since they have a tendency to drive and park in the existing 'ghost' bike lane. Curious what will happen in the winter, the protected lanes seems likely to be a repository for plowed snow.
I believe that the Elston location will eventually be extended.  The Division to North corridor was picked first because the other stretches will be getting utility work done. I believe they can address the south portion, between Milwaukee and Division, second and then the northern sections.  Elston is getting resurfaced in large sections, and the Division to North section will be finished first.

I agree/hope you're right - I'd also just add that as a regular Elston rider, coming from downtown in the evening rush hour cars are often usurping the bike lane when you get to a block or two directly south of North Ave.

And part of that is likely due to how desperately in need of fresh paint those bike lane stripes are - so perhaps CDOT figured it made more sense to start there since they were (hopefully) going to need to freshen up the existing bike lane stripes.

BTW, when you hear people arguing about how much this all costs and how bikes aren't paying their share, tell them to take a closer look at the Elston bike lanes between Division and North - the striping on the side that cars often drive over is the stripe in such bad shape, it's not like bikes are wearing down the paint, it's car traffic!

Charlie Short said:

I believe that the Elston location will eventually be extended.  The Division to North corridor was picked first because the other stretches will be getting utility work done. I believe they can address the south portion, between Milwaukee and Division, second and then the northern sections.  Elston is getting resurfaced in large sections, and the Division to North section will be finished first.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service