The Chainlink

So, I bike to work every day on the LFP from Hyde Park to Fullerton or thereabouts. I go right by McCormick Place every day and now this NATO thing has me paranoid that I'm going to have to plan to ride out of my way for several days in order to get to work. I figure worse case scenario I get off the path at 31st and ride up King Drive until I can get back on the path up by the Museum Campus. That's potentially an okay work around but I'm sure it'll add quite a few extra minutes to the ol' morning commute. Driving my car is likely to be a headache too, because I'd either get held up going by McCormick or I'd have to get to work by going over onto the Dan Ryan to bypass Lakeshore Drive south. Anyway, I sent an email to the city website set up to answer questions about the NATO summit and they essentially had no useful info on whether access to the path would be restricted or whether they would be issues with protesters blocking it, etc. I was told to sign up for some city website that sends out alerts on closures and such. Does anyone have any other info on possible closures or restrictions?

Views: 3014

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MOTHERFUCKERS.

No brewpub ride that weekend then.

Were you planning on doing one??? Post it up to the events page, man.

Jim S said:

Were you planning on doing one??? Post it up to the events page, man.

I was just about going to post the North Side Brewpub ride on the 19th. It will have to wait until after Memorial Day.

Because, you see, its OK if someone hides a bomb in a bike and blows up a Metra the other 52 weekends a year, cause only a bunch of nobodies would be killt.

All of a sudden I'm liking my daily commute to O'Hare a lot more :).  

Folders, too?

Liz said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-metra-plans-t...

Looks like the 4 stations closest to McCormick will be closed and any bags larger than 15"x15"x4" will not be permitted, additionally no bikes or any other large bags will be allows. 

I think the folders will probably exceed the 15"x15"x4" limit.  That's barely big enough for a briefcase, most commuters coming in with a computer will probably get screwed by that restriction if they enforce it strictly

Rich Evans said:

Folders, too?

Liz said:

Looks like the 4 stations closest to McCormick will be closed and any bags larger than 15"x15"x4" will not be permitted, additionally no bikes or any other large bags will be allows. 

Sounds like a good week for a city-wide strike.  Nobody come to work.  Stay home for the week...

But it won't happen.  

I think that pretty much ALL folders will exceed that limit, and that wouldn't allow you to carry anything else, like clothing.

Yes, that limitation will keep most commuters from carrying their daily essentials.  It will definitely keep people from bringing their lunch to work, unless they bring something on the previous workday and store it in the frig.  Real nice.

I think that, plus the huge delays that you know will happen with searches, will pretty much guarantee that hardly anyone will be riding Metra on those days.  Perhaps someone's watched Source Code a few too many times.

S said:

I think the folders will probably exceed the 15"x15"x4" limit.  That's barely big enough for a briefcase, most commuters coming in with a computer will probably get screwed by that restriction if they enforce it strictly

Rich Evans said:

Folders, too?

Liz said:

so looking forward to this weekend even though it will keep me from sailing.

Here's a link the trib put together of road closures. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-nato-maps,...

I have checked to official security plan and the LFP goes through a defined area.  The plan mentions "allowed recreational use" but that appears to hold only for boat traffic in and out of Burnham Harbor and specifically mentions that passage may be halted for any reason.

Therefore, I would avoid the area and be inconvenienced rather than disappointed.  Disappointment can cause heightened emotions, heightened emotions can cause confrontations, confrontations will lead to arrest, arrest will be a real pain in the butt.  So avoid arrest and take the long way around.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service