The Chainlink

Most expensive bicycle commuting season ever... a tale of woe.

I'm just venting, and hoping to learn something out of all this. :-D

February-ish - busted a rear spoke. I don't think I noticed or cared, because...

April - busted a second rear spoke. Learned the hard way that when you bust two, rear wheel deforms enough to cease moving. Oops. Hauled to the local bike shop and fixed.

June - busted a rear spoke. Got tired of dealing with that wheel, and bought a new $40 wheel.

Last week - busted a rear spoke. Attempted to fix this one myself. Spent $25 on a new vise. It broke in half trying to remove the freewheel. Sauntered to the bike shop to get the spoke replaced.

Today - busted a rear spoke. Ignoring it until another one breaks, then buying a new bike. (Not really, but after 7 years... I'm starting to wonder.)

Some $100-$125 later, and after throwing things around and hitting things, these are my lessons learned:

• A single broken spoke is the kiss of death for a wheel
  • Last year was the year of flat tires... I guess it's got to be something every year
  • Spend money on the $110 wheel, not the $40 wheel
  • Find *some* way to learn how to fix bikes, in spite of my history of breaking permanently everything I take apart

What lessons have you learned? (What lessons should I have learned that I didn't write down here?)

-Rob

Views: 932

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've learned that things invariably look better after a bottle of vodka.

A single busted spoke is not necessarily the end of the wheel -depending.

But if the wheel is worn out and you are not paying attention to tension (as modern rims are pretty true even with very low tension) a single busted spoke is often the first thing that gets noticed. 

Keeping tension correct will go a LONG way towards getting more wheel life and not fatiguing spokes. 

I have an outstanding mechanic in Berwyn if anyone needs one. He also sells new parts and tires

Mike 708-289-3986...I ride quite a bit, I decided not to get into the repair end....Knowing Mike is like having your own Indy pit crew.

A lot of the things you learned are wrong...

A single broken spoke means nothing more than a single broken spoke, it's when you get multiples that you have an issue.

You have illustrated, but not stated, and important lesson: You need to pay attention to your bike.  If a bike is properly maintained and you pay attention to it your problems become fewer and fewer because you catch them before your whole world turns to shit.  If you had noticed your first broken spoke in a timely manner you may have been able to avoid further broken spokes.

It does not need to be 'something every year' if you identify and correct the problems.  Your flats are an excellent example.  If you are not getting them this year it is because you changed something; my guess would be the quality of tires you run. 

There is one important lesson you learned; it pays to pay.  The guy at the LBS is not always trying to sell you the more expensive part because they want the money, often it is to make sure you get the most value.  There are a couple of important questions a bike shop employee should ask you before recommending a part: How often do you ride?  How do you ride? Where do you ride?  If you hear these questions chances are they are trying to put you into the right part for you.

There is some good advice in the TEACH ME HOW TO FIX MY BIKE thread...

A lesson I learned this year is Don't Ignore a New Mysterious Sound. I broke a rear axle and somehow road around on the quick release skewer for while until I too broke a spoke. Fixing that brought the broken axle to light...

Another lesson I should have known already is Bring the Busted Stuff to the LBS when fetching replacement parts. I didn't know that there were multiple axle threadings. I dutifully measured the length of the busted axle, but that was not enough information to get a new one. duh! 

I learned my lesson about replacing the first spoke in a timely manner the second time... I rode the remaining 5 miles home and tried to fix it myself, then took it to the LBS after utterly failing. The repair lasted a week.

I've gone along with the 'fix things as they come' philosophy for the better part of 3 years and 6,000 miles... it's how I've learned how to adjust brakes and remove and replace tires pretty darn well. "How Spokes Work" just happens to be next on the list.

I am, however, digging the "get a backup bike" idea.

One spoke is not death. Both of my rear wheels have had a spoke busted. They've gone thousands of miles since.

So you spent $125? The sun visor on my wife car broke, the bill to replace it, almost $200 dollars. Bikes are cheap.

Care are not necessarily expensive to maintain.  It depends on the car and the mechanical skill of the owner.  I spend, on average, about $250/year to maintain my Camry -up a little bit the last couple of years since it passed 300,000.  They don't make them like they used to.  Looks like I'll have to buy the second Catalytic converter.  The first one went out at about 180,000 and this second one was an aftermarket unit that isn't lasting as long as the Toyota OEM unit.

By and far the biggest cost of driving is the fuel.  I figure I've pumped over 10,000 gallons of gasoline through that car since I bought it back in the 90's.

Bicycle pokes are cheap.  A whole wheel's worth is about $20.  That's pretty much free IMHO. 

The woe continues; broke a Park chain tool trying to remove a chain from my bike. A chain tool!!!

I'm officially out of the bike repair hobby. I really don't know how you guys do it. Anyone want a truing stand? :-P

what kind of truing stand? Make, model?

Robert--just a thought: how about taking one of the many excellent bike repair courses around town, where someone could show you how to use the tools properly and how to make the adjustments and repairs so they last?  West Town Bikes, the Recyclery, Rapid Transit and many others offer affordable series of evening classes starting with the basics.  Some guidance from a pro may solve your frustration.

$125 in a year? lol

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service