The Chainlink

I couldn't find any threads comparing brands of Merino wool jerseys, so I am posting this.

I am looking for a good quality Merino wool jersey or sweatshirt to use as a midlayer in cold riding, or as a top layer in cool weather. Preferably something that is cycling specific (cut longer in bottom, rear pocket, etc.) and with thumb loops so I can easily layer the sleeves under heavy gloves. I have been looking at the Chrome Cobra for some time now, but noticed that Surly has a wool jersey as well. I am also considering the Ibex Shak. Does anyone have any experience with these? Mission Workshop also makes some wool stuff, but it is a good deal more expensive than other options.

Views: 2162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been looking for a similar jersey (thanks for posting, Adam) but I want a front pocket, too - why doesn't anyone make one with a zippered front pocket or two? I hate rear pockets in winter because I often am wearing a cape or rainjacket or windproof top layer that makes reaching back with gloves on a big pain. Maybe a smart ladies mfr makes one with more practical pocketing and the thumb-holes. 

I am seriously considering the Mission Workshop Faroe. Anyone have any experience with this?

From what I've been told, the Faroe is the same thickness as a Chrome Cobra. I think it would definitely make a nice mid layer with a wind breaking shell on top. I'm not sure if you've ever felt a MW Bosun, but it's considerably thicker than the Faroe and Cobra. 

I like smartwool too. REI carries some of their stuff. I have a t-shirt and a long-sleeve zip-up. Both are great and not too sporty looking.

uic said:

i like smartwool stuff.

Icebreaker has a gazillion options that fit the bill. I have a long sleeve heavy weight crew (260g) with thumb holes that is my go-to winter layer. This over a lighter weight wool base layer is good to around freezing. I add a wool vest over that and I'm good down to 0.

Smartwool is very soft and nice for casual wear, but the fit isn't great for active wear (love their balaclava and headband, however). I like Ibex too, especially style-wise, but Icebreaker is the best fit and fabric from my experience. Also, definitely go with a zip neck on at least one of your layers, this makes a huge difference.

Sarah,

Not sure how useful this may be to you, but some old-school (50s or so) cycling jerseys had button pockets on the chest. I know there are a handful or wool jerseys that you can get now that are repros of this style. I don't think they have the rear pockets, though. And this is a center-mounted button pocket, not a zippered Napoleon pocket.

David

Sarah D. said:

I've been looking for a similar jersey (thanks for posting, Adam) but I want a front pocket, too - why doesn't anyone make one with a zippered front pocket or two? I hate rear pockets in winter because I often am wearing a cape or rainjacket or windproof top layer that makes reaching back with gloves on a big pain. Maybe a smart ladies mfr makes one with more practical pocketing and the thumb-holes. 

I recommend Ibex. I have found their quality to be higher than other brands of similar pricepoint.

I have a merino v-neck t-shirt from bicycle fixation that I think is fantastic. I'll get another one next year once I budget more wool-spending money for warmer-weather clothes. Rick also sold a long-sleeve hoodie made of a medium-weight wool; it had a zipper front and a buttoned chest pocket. I believe he is out right now but will make another batch next year. Not useful to you now, perhaps, but worth mentioning. Also, it's all MUSA.

David 

I'll second the opinion, since I bought Jim's jacket. I've mostly used it as an outer layer (I can wear it with just a light or medium weight wool layer underneath, but it is cut just loose enough that I can also wear dress shirts that I wear to work under it) but also as a midlayer on some of the colder recent mornings, under my rain/wind jacket. I've found it very versatile in terms of the temperature range that I can wear it comfortably in without getting sweat-soggy. 

David

Jim S said:

The Bosun is wonderful. I just recently sold mine to a Chainlink member to fund for more bike stuff. It makes an awesome mid layer in the cold, and works well as an outer so long as it isn't TOO cold and windy. Plus, it's cut awesome so you pretty much always look awesome and suave in it.

http://us.icebreaker.com/Womens/womens,en,sc.html

Sarah D. said:

Thank you thank you thank you! Now to just start saving the $$$....

grantxyz said:

http://us.icebreaker.com/Womens/womens,en,sc.html

Sarah D. said:

The Icebreaker Carve looks nice. Anyone have any experience with this one?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service