The Chainlink

When asking around, I heard these three candidates are some potential good bike-friendly options:

Mendoza

Lightfoot

Eniya

Let's use this thread to discuss, bring in articles, quotations, and proof of bike-savviness. Cool?

Views: 2973

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm familiar and that's not what this is. I'm following your own logic, which is what we are arguing. You're demanding actual first hand knowledge or hard evidence before someone makes any kind of assertion or claim, right?

Curtis and V, 

What's struck me as odd is that both of you have much politically in common in how you view the world. If you were at a bar, having a pint, the two of you would be laughing as you were having this discussion. Maybe I've got it wrong and you are both enjoying this sparring competition but Curtis, you are a kind and thoughtful person. I can say the same about you, V. Ok, just wanted to throw that out there. :-)

I don't think either of you are full of BS but that's just me.

But, of course, you are mischaracterizing me here, as in "you'd say I'm full of BS too, ..."

Honestly, this is a silly pissing contest, and I get plenty of that action from my 17 year-old sons.

Thanks Yasmeen. I still think I'm right. I still think an analogy does not necessarily equal a strawman, and that expressing skepticism doesnt require first hand knowledge or hard evidence... and I am not one to run from a debate as you know. So yeah, happy to continue the discussion over a beer or a cocktail some day. I think people mistake my argumentative exuberance for aggression but such is the nature of forums and electronic communications.

'A Plan for Equitable and Efficient Transit'

PDF  https://lightfootforchicago.com > 2019/02  

"Transit is essential to Chicago's growth, attracting people and businesses to Chicago and promoting economic development."

"I hope that this initial plan to improve transit can be an important part of moving our city in the right direction - I also hope it can spark an ongoing conversation about transit." Lori Lightfoot

Please send your thoughts and ideas to, info@lightfootforchicago.com

and we will build on this plan together. 

Excerpts:

The plan renews the city's commitment to reduce fatalities with Vision Zero.   Push for smart street designs that prioritize safety. The strategy includes incentivizing more people to walk or bike  and instituting fair traffic enforcement measures that focus on improving safety and compliance - not filling the city's budget holes! 

The safe streets strategy will include constructing more bike lanes and pedestrian infrastructure improvement projects. 

Not a mayor, but Alderwoman Sophia King isn't from what I found out on my other alter ego:

https://twitter.com/84EWashington/status/1105113801165324288

https://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/comments/azukgo/harrison_st_bike_l...

ALERT

Attempted thread-jacking.

Ugh. This is worrisome. Sharing something I saw on Twitter this morning:

The schools were closed because they were underutilized and had mostly empty classrooms.

The buildings are already built and no new buildings need to be built.  Remodeling is a lot cheaper than building new.

It seems like good management to me.

Totally makes sense that this African-American woman -- whose father was a factory worker and janitor who died while his son (Lori's older brother) was incarcerated, and who had a family member murdered by the Ku Klux Klan back in the 1920s (which Lightfoot credits, in part, as her reason for entering public service to fight a sense of injustice) -- would intend to "lead the CPD to further terrorize communities of color!" Read that as sarcasm.

From Chalkbeat --

After the mayoral forum Wednesday, Lightfoot’s campaign sent a statement elaborating on her comments from earlier in the day, noting that she supported improved police training but opposed the training academy “because the Emanuel administration failed to appropriately engage and listen to the community in the public process ahead of the vote.” 

The statement stressed that any police training facility — in a school or otherwise — “must only be created after an intensive community engagement and input process,” and insisted that Lightfoot’s idea to repurpose closed schools for training reflected “the broader need to ensure officers can receive urgently needed training in or close to the communities where they work.” 

https://chalkbeat.org/posts/chicago/2019/03/13/204119/?fbclid=IwAR3...

Thank you Curtis for correcting me with background information as well as context to the discussion. I really appreciate it. Sorry for the knee-jerk initial reaction. 

No sweats, Yas.

You're listening to Curt the Jerk, your host jerk here on Knee-Jerk, every Monday evening 5-7pm at WRUW 91.1 FM Cleveland.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service