The Chainlink

"Groad" is booming and we are lucky enough to live close enough to the amazing Driftless region. A short while ago, I had the pleasure of exploring some beautiful new (gravel) roads in the Galena territory. I wrote about this little adventure on CyclingTips and would be more than happy to share the route. What are your favorite hidden gems (on and off-road) in Illinois, Wisconsin or the other neighboring states?

Views: 606

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great article and video! Super cool. Would love to see the route; can't say no to more trails.

"Galena, the Midwest's Best Kept Secret"?? With a population of under 3,500, it attracts nearly a million visitors a year. Someone let the cat out of the bag.

The hills make it a great destination for cyclists. I think that's the cat that's still in the bag ;-) Illinois has such a rep for being SO flat but Galena is a great place to get a hills fix. 

Jasmin, thanks for posting - love this article. Beautiful photo!

Hey Curtis - I've been on the roads of Galena multiple times - but I did not know there's actually great gravel routes to be explored. So yes, for me, it was a well-kept secret!
Hey Curtis - I've been on the roads of Galena multiple times - but I did not know there's actually great gravel routes to be explored. So yes, for me, it was a well-kept secret!
@JMinHP I can send you the gpx file!

Would be great! Thanks.

Hi Jasmin:

Could you send me a file/copy of the route map? 

Many thanks.

sent!
@JMinHP, let me know what email I should send it to for you!

Jasmin, thanks for writing and posting this - it inspired me to get out to Galena, which we finally did yesterday. Took the fun car for a drive and I had a great few hours' ride in the afternoon, with the bonus of unplanned dirt.
Oh, and I'll take a route map for next time, too, if you can still send one!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service