The Chainlink

Who are your favorites? Why?

Full disclosure: We have three shops that support The Chainlink race team and ambassadors - Boulevard Bikes, Turin, and Tailwind Cycles

I must admit, coming to D.C., I haven't found a local bike shop I'm super comfy with yet which made me think - if I was new to Chicago, I'd be in the same boat. So let's make it easy on people by sharing our thoughts on Chicago's local bike shops (I may be biased, but I think they are some of the best and most welcoming IMO).

Views: 1513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

*Pedal to the People - Bike Shop and Mobile Repair Service

2030 w. Hubbard St. (near Grand and Damen)

Adam Clark does a great job.

I also have used and recommend:
*Comrade Cycles
*West Town Bikes - Ciclo Urbano

Cosmic Bikes on North Milwaukee south of Lawrence.  Superb and friendly service and lots of City/Commuter bikes.

I don't know that I will ever find mechanics who are more passionate, skilled, and meticulous then Ben and Steven at Tailwind.

For deals and speed on parts, Smart Bike Parts is great.

Johnny Sprockets has great bikes and great curated selection of gear (plus they sponsor my team and a bunch of other community stuff!)

BFF is a pillar in the Chicago Women's Bike community, plus they have great service, bikes/gear, classes and rides.

Boulevard and Comrade are also great community members and have always been good to me.

There are many more good shops, but these are my favorites!

Uptown Bikes has experienced mechanics, many of whom have been with the shop for over 10 years!  They love working on old bikes as well as new and will go the extra mile to complete repairs that include hard-to-find parts.  They also carry used parts.  If you're looking for a shim, they have a "shim bin" waiting for you!  Uptown Bikes has endured two years of construction for the rebuilding of the Wilson Red Line stop and are a key business supporting the Uptown community.

what is a shim? 

a random collection of metal things?

Hi Jasmin. It's sort of an adapter, mostly used in work on older bikes, a designed piece of metal/plastic material or washer used to align/adapt or modify, to make them fit and/or reduce wear.

In my case, my seat post wasn't securing tightly.  By inserting a small cylinder with a rim at the top in the seat tube on my frame, I was able to snugly secure my seat post.  I thought it was a long-shot they would have such a part, let alone a whole bin of them.  Just an example of how they can keep older bikes going.

Thanks, guys. All the names of tiny bike parts aren't easy to learn for a non-native speaker  (not that I'd know them in German... :D)

You would be amazed at the spare bins parts names at a class at West Town Bikes.

Mox Multisport!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service