The Chainlink

whats your preferrence, and why?

and which brands do you recommend?

how do you deal with a leg warmer that simply does not want to stay up?

Views: 2564

Replies to This Discussion

my leg warmers do not perform, they too like to slip to the lower leg.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

I haven't tried neither of those, only (the Smart Wool) knee warmers so far. Found that they have a highly irritating habit to change themselves into ankle warmers. Do leg warmers behave better? I'd rather use running tights insted, if they do.

I have a couple pair. The knee warmers are pearl izume and leg warmers are addidias, they barely stay up even when under cycling shorts, both have gripper material on the top elastic bands. I tried going with a smaller size and that helped some but not enough. I have just gave up and stick with either bib tights or bib knickers, you can buy them with or without the padded insert. Only downside is they are too warm to leave on during work. Oh and when nature calls.

You would have to put a hole in the leg warmers so they could attach. but its actually a pretty good idea

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Girls, at least, can use garter belt for those pesky sliding-down warmers and turn 'em to hanky-panky garments instead :)

I use Norova (REI brand) leg warmers and have no problem with them staying up under cycling shorts, if I have looser pants overthem, they sometimes slip below my knees, and they always fall when walking without cycling shorts over them. 

I also really like the REI brand midweight long underwear, the waistband sits at a good height and the fabric is comfortable for activity (other brands I have felt constricted on a bike) and the crouch seems aren't in weird places for a bike seat. 

In this weeks single digits for my ride to work I've been laying my lower half as such:  bike shorts, leg warmers, tights/leggings/long underwear, and wind/rain pants and keeping everything comfy. Above 20 I'll just do 2 of those 3 layers depending on what I'm wearing when I get to work and what wind/rain/snow is going on. 

I personally cannot stand the leg warmers, they never ever stay up. Believe me, I got some girth to my thighs too and still they won't stay up. I love love love wool leggins and tights...

However, I am having a hard time finding wool tights, could not locate them at REI. Anyone have a suggestion for wher to buy some?

Liz said:

I use Norova (REI brand) leg warmers and have no problem with them staying up under cycling shorts, if I have looser pants overthem, they sometimes slip below my knees, and they always fall when walking without cycling shorts over them. 

I also really like the REI brand midweight long underwear, the waistband sits at a good height and the fabric is comfortable for activity (other brands I have felt constricted on a bike) and the crouch seems aren't in weird places for a bike seat. 

In this weeks single digits for my ride to work I've been laying my lower half as such:  bike shorts, leg warmers, tights/leggings/long underwear, and wind/rain pants and keeping everything comfy. Above 20 I'll just do 2 of those 3 layers depending on what I'm wearing when I get to work and what wind/rain/snow is going on. 

I think that I've seen them at Nordstroms...both the full price store and Nordstroms Rack.

I don't really wear cycling specific clothes for anything except very long rides.  I find that most active wear leggigngs keep me quite warm.  Also, I find that regular tights work very well as insulation under regular pants...or they are really warm under fleece.

Yesterday i picked up a pair of leggings called cuddleduds from Target.  http://www.target.com/Warm-Essentials-Cuddl-Duds-Collection/dp/B004...  They were 10.99 and I wore them today under a skirt.  They were plenty warm, though I did layer a pair of knee socks and then wool socks over my feet.

shar said:

I personally cannot stand the leg warmers, they never ever stay up. Believe me, I got some girth to my thighs too and still they won't stay up. I love love love wool leggins and tights...

However, I am having a hard time finding wool tights, could not locate them at REI. Anyone have a suggestion for wher to buy some?

Liz said:

HUE has wool sweater tights that I like a lot.  You can get them at Macy's, Carson's, Nordstrom and H&M has some sweater tights too, and sometimes norstrom's rack, filene's basement places will have some in stock.

Also if you want leg warmers to stay up, and be easy to remove, sew a button on the leg warmer at the top and then sew a button loop onto the inside of the pants you want to wear them under.  then you can just unbottom them and remove instead of sitting/walking around all day with an extra layer.

shar said:

Liz said:

Surprised no one suggested a staple gun...

Sooo... women has this no-name fleece-lined tights that don't cost more than a pair of gloves. Meanwhile, us men has to resort to PI or Sugoi, or Specialized brands that are upwards of $80 in price.

indeed. i was just thinking about this again, just today.  i see no reason why not to "crossdress" in some of those simple womens leggings. more effective and less bulky than basic longjohns! and cheap!

In that case, here's the link. And I just bought a pair for Shay - which I'll probably test, too :)

https://www.livingsocial.com/products/us/tag/fashion/106050-fleece-...

That's just to make up for the many things that men can buy at a relatively low cost but women can't because fashion designers make them expensive for women. :-)

Seriously--not fleece lined, but I think Costco still has some men's merino/synthetic blend base layer pants and shirts for less than $20 each.

JustWill said:

Sooo... women has this no-name fleece-lined tights that don't cost more than a pair of gloves. Meanwhile, us men has to resort to PI or Sugoi, or Specialized brands that are upwards of $80 in price.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service