The Chainlink

According to Alderman Reilly, it is going to be relocated to Grand Ave. because of the impact that the Wolf Point development will have on traffic.  Hopefully it will connect all the way to Milwaukee Ave.  Source:  bitly.com/VN8x9p

Views: 3030

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone live in 42?  Call his office or send him an e-mail to ask about this bike lane relocation. 

I guess I don't see the big deal. At least they're moving the lane instead of just removing it. They're also removing car parking, so it's not as if bikers are being specifically targeted. Although, it does seems like a waste of money to move a bike lane specifically for the needs of a private developer. Why not just close off all of Kinzie in that case? Grand is one-way though – would the bike lane be two ways?

Personally, I'd love to see a protected bike lane go in on grand from Milwaukee to the lake.

That really sucks. Are they just removing the lane on that stretch of Kinzie? What about west of the river, for those who connect to Clinton or from Canal? What does this mean for the Dearborn lane that was going to terminate at Kinzie - will it be extended north to Grand? This doesn't seem to have been thought out very well.

Time to visit Wolf Point before it's all construction.  Been there?  Gorgeous view of the river!

We just posted this blog:

http://www.activetrans.org/blog/lcrandell/potential-relocation-kinz...

Copied/pasted below, thanks much.

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

Potential relocation of Kinzie protected bike lane to Grand Ave.

UPDATED INFO. BELOW

Because of the potential construction impact of the Wolf Point development project on the Kinzie Street protected bike lane, 42nd Ward Ald. Brendan Reilly shared the news that the city is considering relocating the Kinzie protected bike lane to Grand Avenue.

Active Trans is pleased that in his negotiations with the developer, Ald. Reilly has made maintaining safe streets for biking a priority. We're also pleased that the developer has agreed to fund the relocation of this highly used bike lane, pending approval of the development by the Chicago Plan Commission.

Active Trans believes Grand Avenue could be a great alternative route, as long as it allows for protected bike lanes accomodating two-way bike traffic between Milwaukee Avenue and the planned protected bike lane on Dearborn Street, and as long as the Grand Avenue bikeway is completed before the Kinzie bikway is removed.

We are still awaiting additional details on this potential project and will share more information as it's available.

UPDATE: We spoke with Alderman Reilly’s office to ask about the bikeway design and whether the Grand bikeway would be installed before the Kinzie bikeway is removed. They said the alderman is committed to ensuring there’s a seamless transition from Kinzie to Grand without disruption to bike access. The plan is to create a connection on Grand between Milwaukee and the planned Dearborn bikeway. The developer is still working out the plans with CDOT and will hire their own contractor to install the bikeway per CDOT’s specs, in order to expedite installation. Details such as how two-way bike traffic will be accommodated are still to be determined. This would be a temporary relocation of the bikeway unless CDOT determines protected bike lanes should remain on Grand.

In reading this, it looked to me like these were temporary changes...  My mom and dad live in Ald. Reilly's ward and have been very favorable to him due in part to his enhancement of bicycle facilities.

that Left turn from Milwaukee is gonna be an interesting on during the morning rush. At least at Kinzie we had an official left turn signal.

If it goes back in and Grand Ave. stays too?  Big win for the city and biking.  I withdraw my concern for the time being.

Yeah, except that it's currently an ugly surface parking lot. I would have preferred a park on the entire site, not another glass and steel River North condo building. The developer is managing to sandwich a public park and river walk on the site in between the towers and a surface parking lot, though. Certainly not ideal, but I don't think it will be a bad thing.

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info/2012/11/05/will-a-scrawnier-wo...

David of the North (David606xx) said:

Time to visit Wolf Point before it's all construction.  Been there?  Gorgeous view of the river!

Thank you Lee and Ethan!   Keep us updated when this starts and what the detour option is. 

Active Transportation Alliance said:

We just posted this blog:

http://www.activetrans.org/blog/lcrandell/potential-relocation-kinz...

Copied/pasted below, thanks much.

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

Potential relocation of Kinzie protected bike lane to Grand Ave.

UPDATED INFO. BELOW

Because of the potential construction impact of the Wolf Point development project on the Kinzie Street protected bike lane, 42nd Ward Ald. Brendan Reilly shared the news that the city is considering relocating the Kinzie protected bike lane to Grand Avenue.

Active Trans is pleased that in his negotiations with the developer, Ald. Reilly has made maintaining safe streets for biking a priority. We're also pleased that the developer has agreed to fund the relocation of this highly used bike lane, pending approval of the development by the Chicago Plan Commission.

Active Trans believes Grand Avenue could be a great alternative route, as long as it allows for protected bike lanes accomodating two-way bike traffic between Milwaukee Avenue and the planned protected bike lane on Dearborn Street, and as long as the Grand Avenue bikeway is completed before the Kinzie bikway is removed.

We are still awaiting additional details on this potential project and will share more information as it's available.

UPDATE: We spoke with Alderman Reilly’s office to ask about the bikeway design and whether the Grand bikeway would be installed before the Kinzie bikeway is removed. They said the alderman is committed to ensuring there’s a seamless transition from Kinzie to Grand without disruption to bike access. The plan is to create a connection on Grand between Milwaukee and the planned Dearborn bikeway. The developer is still working out the plans with CDOT and will hire their own contractor to install the bikeway per CDOT’s specs, in order to expedite installation. Details such as how two-way bike traffic will be accommodated are still to be determined. This would be a temporary relocation of the bikeway unless CDOT determines protected bike lanes should remain on Grand.

Two way traffic on Grand should be on the south side of the street to better facilitate connections to the upcoming Dearborn Street lane which will be on the West side of the street.

Nice to see that the developer is paying for the new bike lane.

Maybe this will start a trend and we can get corporate sponsors for new protected lanes? Who wouldn't want to ride in the SRAM or Intelligentsia bike lane? I'm only sort of half kidding. :-)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service