The Chainlink

Just One Reason Why Riding the Metra Train is More Fun Than Driving a Car

This took place about midnight on the Union Pacific North Line, running south from Kenosha to Evanston, 12/21/2012.  Fun!

Views: 1027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Art Blakey . . . .Thunder Snow!  

Thunder Snow said:

Bring an instrument and sit in, David!  Or at least enjoy a tall pint of Guinness, Magner's or Smithwick's in a friendly pub.  I often play an Irish frame drum, called a bodhran, which is the instrument of many of us folks who possess no musical talent whatsoever.  ("What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?  A drummer.")

David Barish said:

So, which Tuesday are we riding, or perhaps in Anne's case taking the train, to Celtic Knot?  

Presumably not the 2nd or 3rd Tuesday of the month, right?

David Barish said:

So, which Tuesday are we riding, or perhaps in Anne's case taking the train, to Celtic Knot? 

Thunder Snow said:

That fine banjo player, Gus Friedlander, plus the majority of the other musicians on that particular train, can be heard most Tuesday evenings between 7 PM & 10 PM at Evanston's Celtic Knot Pub on Church Street (no cover).

<  shameless plug for the "Gus & Friends" Celtic Knot Trad Irish Music Seisún which usually encompasses Irish, jazz, Appalachian, bluegrass and anything else someone wants to play or hear  >>>

I am no longer on the EBC board so I can be free whenever you want to go.  I want to see the bicycle chain guitar pictured on Thunder snow's page.

Anne Alt said:

Presumably not the 2nd or 3rd Tuesday of the month, right?

David Barish said:

Thunder Snow said:

That fine banjo player, Gus Friedlander, plus the majority of the other musicians on that particular train, can be heard most Tuesday evenings between 7 PM & 10 PM at Evanston's Celtic Knot Pub on Church Street (no cover).

<  shameless plug for the "Gus & Friends" Celtic Knot Trad Irish Music Seisún which usually encompasses Irish, jazz, Appalachian, bluegrass and anything else someone wants to play or hear  >>>

Alas, the bike chain guitar picture was stolen off the interwebs; I don't know where it is in Real Life.  However, one fellow just built a Theremin and is threatening to bring it.  And there was that guy who showed up a couple months ago with a musical saw.

David Barish said:

I am no longer on the EBC board so I can be free whenever you want to go.  I want to see the bicycle chain guitar pictured on Thunder snow's page.

How about the 3rd Tuesday (1/15) if you're free?

David Barish said:

Thunder Snow said:

Unfortunately, I plan to hear other music that night. I was going to hear Joe Filisko in Berwyn. I will have to use the er, ah, gulp, (car).  22? 29? 2-5?

Anne Alt 2-10 said:

David Barish said:

Thunder Snow said:

1/22 or 1/29 could work.  Do you have a preference?  Then one of us could post a calendar event if other folks would like to enjoy the music of Gus and company.

David Barish 13.9 said:

Unfortunately, I plan to hear other music that night. I was going to hear Joe Filisko in Berwyn. I will have to use the er, ah, gulp, (car).  22? 29? 2-5?

Anne Alt 2-10 said:

David Barish said:

Thunder Snow said:

how about 29?

Sounds like a plan. 

David Barish 13.9 said:

how about 29?

And here's the calendar event, for anyone who wants to attend.

I'm in!  The fish 'n chips, shepherd's pie or lamb stew are all yummy at the Knot.  If you play guitar or other acoustic instrument even passably, bring it along and sit in on the seisún. Bike rack across the street in front of the library, or scattered along Church--the new goofy-looking trapezoidal racks are every 15 feet or so along the curb.  Thanks for planning the event, Anne & David!

~Tom

Just a reminder, since we're coming up on the date.... I hope that all of you who responded "yes" are still able to come.  To those who haven't responded, or who said "maybe," I'm planning to make a reservation, so it would be great to get an update on how many folks to expect. Looking forward to Tuesday.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service