The Chainlink

Planning thread for July 30th 2010 Chicago Critical Mass.

In the recent "Critical Mass Strategy" discussion, Barbra mentioned hints of her desire to do a map for July's CCM, with an underwear theme.  She's certainly capable, having participated in WNBR-C and CCM for several years, and the theme is certainly appropriate for hot weather.

So with just a few weeks to go, I'm proactively seeding this thread for discussion and planning.

Views: 367

Replies to This Discussion

This is not good. About how many were arrested?

Jerry said:
First, and foremost, you guys did a great job with this ride. We got a brilliant start, and a brilliant finish. The hard corking at LSD and the lure of the beach party worked perfectly. It was excellent.

Second, I am extremely disappointed with the reception we got from the police at the beach. They ambushed us. They sent in bunch of surly patrol officers, and a tactical squad, to harass and threaten us. That was total bullshit. Some people were handcuffed for no apparent reason, and others were taken away by the tac team, again, for no apparent reason. Those jerks wouldn't even talk to me. We cannot trust the 23d District. We went out of our way to keep people off LSD, and even gave Commander Boehmer a heads-up on exactly what we were doing. Our reward for that was to get ambushed and have our people manhandled by a tac team. If that's the reward we get for trying to work with Boehmer, we will never work with her again. She's on her own. We cannot trust the 23d District or Commander Boehmer. We covered her ass for her, and she stabbed us in the back.
Sorry to hear about the ending. I was having some knee issues and dropped out at Addison, so I wasn't there for the end.

In other news, the channel 2 piece on CCM is on their website.
Thanks for the heads-up-- I'm breaking that out into a new thread . . .

Sue Clark said:
Sorry to hear about the ending. I was having some knee issues and dropped out at Addison, so I wasn't there for the end.

In other news, the channel 2 piece on CCM is on their website.
I think 2 were arrested, but I don't know for sure. The surly cops would not talk to me.

Maybe next month we end the ride at 3600 N. Halsted. I mean, we tried real hard this month to end the ride at a place where there wouldn't be any problems, and the crowd would disperse naturally. We even corked the LSD ramp hard, and gave Boehmer a heads-up that we were coming. Boehmer didn't seem to like that. Maybe she'd be happier if we just dumped a couple of thousand bikers on her doorstep, where she can keep a closer eye on them.

And I just communicated my displeasure to CPD, in very harsh terms.

Kevin Conway said:
Jerry said:
First, and foremost, you guys did a great job with this ride. We got a brilliant start, and a brilliant finish. The hard corking at LSD and the lure of the beach party worked perfectly. It was excellent.

Second, I am extremely disappointed with the reception we got from the police at the beach. They ambushed us. They sent in bunch of surly patrol officers, and a tactical squad, to harass and threaten us. That was total bullshit. Some people were handcuffed for no apparent reason, and others were taken away by the tac team, again, for no apparent reason. Those jerks wouldn't even talk to me. We cannot trust the 23d District. We went out of our way to keep people off LSD, and even gave Commander Boehmer a heads-up on exactly what we were doing. Our reward for that was to get ambushed and have our people manhandled by a tac team. If that's the reward we get for trying to work with Boehmer, we will never work with her again. She's on her own. We cannot trust the 23d District or Commander Boehmer. We covered her ass for her, and she stabbed us in the back.
I know you're just venting, but that police station is a hornet's nest we do not want to kick.
We used to constantly get an aggressive/ overbearing response every time we took that stretch of Halsted-- I remember one time they forced the mass to turn down a sidestreet that was closed off at the Clark end-- people were taking of their CCM shirts and trying to figure out how to slip away-- we thought they were going to try to arrest the whole mass. It seems like they ignore us for the most part the past few years when we pass by, except for maybe a token attempt to push the riders out of the oncoming lanes like we saw on North Ave. tonight.

Jerry said:
I think 2 were arrested, but I don't know for sure. The surly cops would not talk to me.
Maybe next month we end the ride at 3600 N. Halsted. I mean, we tried real hard this month to end the ride at a place where there wouldn't be any problems, and the crowd would disperse naturally. We even corked the LSD ramp hard, and gave Boehmer a heads-up that we were coming. Boehmer didn't seem to like that. Maybe she'd be happier if we just dumped a couple of thousand bikers on her doorstep, where she can keep a closer eye on them. And I just communicated my displeasure to CPD, in very harsh terms.

Kevin Conway said:
Jerry said:

The lesson we should take from this experience is the the police cannot be trusted with any plans involving the 23d District. We trusted Commander Boehmer, and went out of our way to manage the ride in her turf, and she stabbed us in the back.

She put a Wolf Pack on us, and the Wolf Pack did what Wolf Packs always do, i.e., harass random Black people until they find a few who are dirty, and arrest them. Here's the 23d District:

And here's Commander Boehmer:

It's important to remember that she and her people cannot be trusted. If we're going to 23, it's better not to tell the cops anything. If our reward for cooperation is an ambush, we're better of ambushing the 23d District in the future. What's she gonna do? Put a Wolf Pack on us? She already did that.

H3N3 said:
I know you're just venting, but that police station is a hornet's nest we do not want to kick.
We used to constantly get an aggressive/ overbearing response every time we took that stretch of Halsted-- I remember one time they forced the mass to turn down a sidestreet that was closed off at the Clark end-- people were taking of their CCM shirts and trying to figure out how to slip away-- we thought they were going to try to arrest the whole mass. It seems like they ignore us for the most part the past few years when we pass by, except for maybe a token attempt to push the riders out of the oncoming lanes like we saw on North Ave. tonight. Jerry said:
Maybe next month we end the ride at 3600 N. Halsted. I mean, we tried real hard this month to end the ride at a place where there wouldn't be any problems, and the crowd would disperse naturally. We even corked the LSD ramp hard, and gave Boehmer a heads-up that we were coming. Boehmer didn't seem to like that. Maybe she'd be happier if we just dumped a couple of thousand bikers on her doorstep, where she can keep a closer eye on them. And I just communicated my displeasure to CPD, in very harsh terms. Kevin Conway said:
Jerry said:

I would guess I speak for most people when I say that I have no idea what sort of communication you had with her before the ride, or why, or how our trust was betrayed, or how her ass was covered . . .
As far as I know, in 99% of CCM rides nobody 'tells the cops anything' and the ride goes on and on and on.

Jerry said:
The lesson we should take from this experience is the the police cannot be trusted with any plans involving the 23d District. We trusted Commander Boehmer, and went out of our way to manage the ride in her turf, and she stabbed us in the back.
She put a Wolf Pack on us, and the Wolf Pack did what Wolf Packs always do, i.e., harass random Black people until they find a few who are dirty, and arrest them. Here's the 23d District:

It's important to remember that she and her people cannot be trusted. If we're going to 23, it's better not to tell the cops anything.

H3N3 said:
We used to constantly get an aggressive/ overbearing response every time we took that stretch of Halsted-- I remember one time they forced the mass to turn down a sidestreet that was closed off at the Clark end-- people were taking of their CCM shirts and trying to figure out how to slip away-- we thought they were going to try to arrest the whole mass. It seems like they ignore us for the most part the past few years when we pass by, except for maybe a token attempt to push the riders out of the oncoming lanes like we saw on North Ave. tonight.
Jerry said:
Maybe next month we end the ride at 3600 N. Halsted. I mean, we tried real hard this month to end the ride at a place where there wouldn't be any problems, and the crowd would disperse naturally. We even corked the LSD ramp hard, and gave Boehmer a heads-up that we were coming. Boehmer didn't seem to like that. Maybe she'd be happier if we just dumped a couple of thousand bikers on her doorstep, where she can keep a closer eye on them. And I just communicated my displeasure to CPD, in very harsh terms.
Kevin Conway said:
Jerry said:

The cops got the map, knew we were coming, and knew people were trying to defuse tension. What we got at the beach from the cops was not a random dust-up. It was a planned attack.
It's just too damn bad that CPD responded to our friendly gestures with a kick in the teeth. We had similar problems with the Commander in 14 for a while, but he moved on, and the ride continued.

Yes, you're right, H3N3, the ride will go on and on and on, as it always has.

H3N3 said:
I would guess I speak for most people when I say that I have no idea what sort of communication you had with her before the ride, or why, or how our trust was betrayed, or how her ass was covered . . .
As far as I know, in 99% of CCM rides nobody 'tells the cops anything' and the ride goes on and on and on.
Jerry said:

It's important to remember that she and her people cannot be trusted. If we're going to 23, it's better not to tell the cops anything.

H3N3 said:
Jerry said:
Kevin Conway said:
Jerry said:

Hmmm . . . so I wonder if the lesson might be more against planned and communicated ride endings in general rather than anything specific to this district. I don't really have a sense of how often you intervene like this . . . it vaguely sounds like it's been an ongoing thing? I know you help with the Naked ride but the Naked ride is very much not Critical Mass.

Jerry said:
The cops got the map, knew we were coming, and knew people were trying to defuse tension. What we got at the beach from the cops was not a random dust-up. It was a planned attack.
It's just too damn bad that CPD responded to our friendly gestures with a kick in the teeth. We had similar problems with the Commander in 14 for a while, but he moved on, and the ride continued.

H3N3 said:
Jerry said:

H3N3 said:
Jerry said:
Kevin Conway said:
Jerry said:

Yes, the Naked Ride is very different -- it has something more like a traditional organizational structure. CM doesn't. I can negotiate on behalf of the Naked Ride (only at their request.) I can't do that with CM. All I can do with CM is fluff the cops, to try to keep them off our backs.

H3N3 said:
Hmmm . . . so I wonder if the lesson might be more against planned and communicated ride endings in general rather than anything specific to this district. I don't really have a sense of how often you intervene like this . . . it vaguely sounds like it's been an ongoing thing? I know you help with the Naked ride but the Naked ride is very much not Critical Mass.

Jerry said:

H3N3 said:
Jerry said:

H3N3 said:
Jerry said:
Kevin Conway said:
Jerry said:

I left the beach about 10:00. When did this happen?
Jason,

It was happening right away. The same cop car SUV who was at Clarendon and Broadway was the same SUV that pulled when the front of the Mass ended and told Todd & I to stop playing music.

Howard,

It's not an issue with how the ride was organized. From my understanding whenever there is a map the cops are generally given it, I know I give cops maps, and it's usually never a problem. It's Kathleen Boehmer- she's a tight ass who love Yuppies and hates diversity. The only thing we can do in the future is not end the Mass at the Beach in the 23rd again.

Other than that we can all please call the 23rd and leave them your complaint. Their primary grief was that you can't be in the beach in a group of 50 or more. Since CCM is just a spontaneous conglomeration of people the argument is null and void, make sure to let them know this...

Kathleen Boehmer, Commander
District 23
3600 North Halsted St , Chicago, IL 60613
23ehotline@chicagopolice.org
Phone: 312-744-8320
Fax: 312-744-4481
TTY: 312-744-8011

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service