The Chainlink

Jefferson Park: Milwaukee Ave Complete Street Project - UPDATE 2015

Disappointing News on the Northwest Side of the City:

“Road diet” dropped from Milwaukee Avenue safety improvement projec...

Sounds like there will only be minor improvements to the road.

I was hoping to see something special that would have created a destination to the Jefferson Park / Gladstone Park area.

Views: 379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ugh.

Very disappointing news.

Not at all good planning.  They need to do something about the speeding traffic.  With the two lanes in each direction (that aren't needed with the little traffic Milwaukee Ave. carries) cars are traveling well over the 30 MPH speed limit.

If you can't have a road diet, at least slow down.

My opinion is that the decision was a political decision, not a traffic decision.  There is an election coming up.

It's absolutely a political decision, but from what i've been able to gather, his will reflects the will of a LOT of the citizens in the ward. There are some really old, grumpy NIMBYs in the area. I suspect that if this goes up for discussion again in 5-7 years, the result will be very different. A lot of younger, more progressive people are moving out that way. (Me included!)

One impression I get from the article is that people in the neighborhood _say_ they want to do something about speeding, but aren't willing to support any measures that will actually reduce it. A road diet? No, thanks. Cameras? No, thanks. Enforcement? Sure, as long as it isn't me, After all, I'm not the problem - it's the other guy.

I think there will be an improvement, they are taking away the center lane and widening the bike lanes.  There will be better (and more) pedestrian crossings.  I am excited that they are doing something!

That's been my impression ever since the road diet was proposed.

David P. said:

One impression I get from the article is that people in the neighborhood _say_ they want to do something about speeding, but aren't willing to support any measures that will actually reduce it. A road diet? No, thanks. Cameras? No, thanks. Enforcement? Sure, as long as it isn't me, After all, I'm not the problem - it's the other guy.

The way I understand it. They are not taking away the center lane but making it smaller and a continuous turn lane. This will allow them to put some sort of buffer between the doors and riders.

I hope the plan c is worth the time and money.

Apie (10.6) said:

I think there will be an improvement, they are taking away the center lane and widening the bike lanes.  There will be better (and more) pedestrian crossings.  I am excited that they are doing something!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service