The Chainlink

Views: 2077

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This got me thinking - is it actually illegal to ride a bike on LSD?  It's obviously unwise and dangerous.  I used to have a 50cc scooter that topped out at 40mph (in a streamlined crouch, downhill, with a tailwind), which is coincidentally the speed limit on LSD.  I would never take it on LSD - no one drives 40mph on LSD and I felt like a moving road block.  Actually, do most people even know the speed limit for LSD?  The article's author probably doesn't since he thinks LSD is an expressway (It's not. It's a boulevard.)

Eli said:

Maybe she got tired of motorists and police telling her that "the same rules that apply to cars apply to you" when performing Idaho stops, and decided to take them at their word.

If she's south of Chicago then she probably got on at Erie. There's a stoplight there and would explain why she's in the left lane. She probably thought that was how you get on the LFP. 

I agree that her treatment by drivers was pathetic. Really shows how most people could give a rat's ass about anyone else but themselves.  

peter moormann said:

She's 3 blocks south of Chicago Ave.

Probably missed the turn off for LFP at Grand and instead went up the ramp and crossed 3 lanes of traffic to get over to the left lane????

There are no signs at Chicago Ave that indicate no bikes are allowed to enter LSD northbound or southbound.

Looks like a good short cut in the summer when the path is crowded.

Chicago Municipal Code 9-52-020(c) Bicycles shall not be operated on Lake Shore Drive or on any roadway where the operation of bicycles has been prohibited and signs have been erected indicating such prohibition.

John Durham said:

Yes

JM 6.5 said:

This got me thinking - is it actually illegal to ride a bike on LSD? 

Thanks, John. I guess there is actually a Chicago Muni Code about bikes on LSD.  The code leads to another discovery for me: Sub (d) recites that where a usable bike path is adjacent the road bikes "shall not" use the road.  This means that where there is now a bike lane of any kind (protected, buffered) it's illegal to ride in the road.  I had no idea this existed in Chicago, and there is no exception provided.  For example, I apparently can't leave the bike lane to pass another bike or even to go around a car obstructing the bike lane.  I wonder if this is the same language as in NYC, where bikers are being ticketed for leaving the bike lane even if it is obstructed.  The same could happen in Chicago.

9-52-020 Riding bicycles on sidewalks and certain roadways.
(a) No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk within a business district.
(b) No person 12 or more years of age shall ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk in any district, unless such sidewalk has been officially designated and marked as a bicycle route.
(c) Bicycles shall not be operated on Lake Shore Drive or on any roadway where the operation of bicycles has been prohibited and signs have been erected indicating such prohibition.
(d) Whenever a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a roadway, bicycle riders shall use such path and shall not use the roadway.

John Durham said:

Yes

JM 6.5 said:

Your interpretation is incorrect. Brendan Kevenides wrote about this: http://www.mybikeadvocate.com/2013_03_01_archive.html

JM 6.5 said:

Thanks, John. I guess there is actually a Chicago Muni Code about bikes on LSD.  The code leads to another discovery for me: Sub (d) recites that where a usable bike path is adjacent the road bikes "shall not" use the road.  This means that where there is now a bike lane of any kind (protected, buffered) it's illegal to ride in the road.  I had no idea this existed in Chicago, and there is no exception provided.  For example, I apparently can't leave the bike lane to pass another bike or even to go around a car obstructing the bike lane.  I wonder if this is the same language as in NYC, where bikers are being ticketed for leaving the bike lane even if it is obstructed.  The same could happen in Chicago.

(b) No person 12 or more years of age shall ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk in any district, unless such sidewalk has been officially designated and marked as a bicycle route.
(c) Bicycles shall not be operated on Lake Shore Drive or on any roadway where the operation of bicycles has been prohibited and signs have been erected indicating such prohibition.
(d) Whenever a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a roadway, bicycle riders shall use such path and shall not use the roadway.

John Durham said:

Yes

JM 6.5 said:

A bike lane is not a "path."

JM 6.5 said:

John Durham said:

Yes

JM 6.5 said:

Is there a part of the Code that clarifies this? Sorry, just curious (and not trying to hijack the tread).

Edited: Sorry. Missed Alex's post.
Kevin C said:

Was the promised memo clarifying the language of the ordinance (mentioned in the Brendan Kevenides blog post) ever issued by CDOT?

It's not a defined term in the Code, so the rules of construction will be contained in a dictionary of your choosing; i.e. a "bike lane on a roadway" is not a "path adjacent to a roadway."

JM 6.5 said:

Is there a part of the Code that clarifies this? Sorry, just curious (and not trying to hijack the tread).

Edited: Sorry. Missed Alex's post.
Kevin C said:

USEABLE:  Blocked by debris or a vehicle it is NOT USEABLE.

JM 6.5 said:

John Durham said:

Yes

JM 6.5 said:

I thought so and thought that Brendan wrote about this as well. But I couldn't find anything more recent (in 30 seconds of Googling) than the post I linked to, so perhaps not.

Eli said:

Was the promised memo clarifying the language of the ordinance (mentioned in the Brendan Kevenides blog post) ever issued by CDOT?

My lord, she looks terrified. How could anyone "accidently" get on LSD?? Perhaps she was under the influence?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service