The Chainlink

preferably NOS.

namely:
crankset(also need fixing bolts for the BB)
derraileurs
brake levers and calipers
seatpost
hubs

im frustrated, been sniped so many times on ebay. would like to find a person/shop who has this stuff so i can build up my panasonic team america(fuck yeah!)

help me?

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should be able to buy all/most of this stuff through your LBS. Tell them to call Euro Asia Imports, a west coast distributor that specializes in NOS Shimano.
J said:
You should be able to buy all/most of this stuff through your LBS. Tell them to call Euro Asia Imports, a west coast distributor that specializes in NOS Shimano.

i had no clue, thanks.
ok, sorry to harp on this again, but ive called the three LBS's down here in indiana. namely Ridge Cyclery in Highland, IN, The Trek store in Scherrerville, IN, and The Compleat Cyclist in Dolton, IL. The first two gave me a flat out NO and the third told me to call back around March when hes gonna have a better handle on his inventory.

so i guess my next plea is to ask wether anyone here has any experience with this sort of thing and if so, could i get a recommendation as to a shop(s) in the greater chicagoland area that would be sympathetic to this sort of thing.
Dan,

In Chicago: Yojimbo's, Cycles Smithy, many others. To be fair to your LBS, this type of stuff is hard to deal with, not so much because of the sourcing -- but most folks aren't ready to pay the price. And then there are all the inevitable incompatibility issues that might be part of a build. So you need a very very knowledgeable mechanic who ideally lived and wrenched through the 80s/90s to make it painless. The shop needs to know what it's doing -- you'd be amazed at how many "restorations" I see that pair 6 speed shifters with 7 speed freewheels, or try to use standard spokes in slotted hubs, and on and on...

Do shop around, but for this kit expect to pay about $800 for NOS. I assume you don't need the freewheel or shifters or chain or BB or headset or pedals. All of these are available too. If you don't need true full 7400, you could mix and match some Ultegra stuff. Or as discussed earlier, just table the project and cherry pick pieces on ebay as they show up. Honestly, I know three or four guys who have identical projects to yours and are into their second or third year collecting parts. But if you do just want it all at once, it's super easy to order.

Spindle Bolts: $12
Cranks: 7410 (low profile) or 7402 (standard)? Chainring sizes? Arm length? $300ish.
Mechs: $200ish
Brake Levers: See below. Non aero 7400s also available.
Calipers: 7401 single pivot 7403 dual pivot $250ish including aero levers (black or white hoods)
Seatpost: Size? A (round) or B (aero)? $125ish.
Hubs: Many options here. Freewheel or cassette. Slotted or standard holes. Spoke count. About $200 per set.
:gulp:

yeah, wow, thanks for the info. im not in a huge hurry at the moment, but i would like to ride this bike by summertime.

J said:
Dan,

Do shop around, but for this kit expect to pay about $800 for NOS. I assume you don't need the freewheel or shifters or chain or BB or headset or pedals. All of these are available too. If you don't need true full 7400, you could mix and match some Ultegra stuff. Or as discussed earlier, just table the project and cherry pick pieces on ebay as they show up. Honestly, I know three or four guys who have identical projects to yours and are into their second or third year collecting parts. But if you do just want it all at once, it's super easy to order.

Spindle Bolts: $12
Cranks: 7410 (low profile) or 7402 (standard)? Chainring sizes? Arm length? $300ish.
Mechs: $200ish
Brake Levers: See below. Non aero 7400s also available.
Calipers: 7401 single pivot 7403 dual pivot $250ish including aero levers (black or white hoods)
Seatpost: Size? A (round) or B (aero)? $125ish.
Hubs: Many options here. Freewheel or cassette. Slotted or standard holes. Spoke count. About $200 per set.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service