The Chainlink

I guess if someone really wants your bike, you don't have a chance.  Take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ansaTSw3nbs

Views: 1031

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dahon Folding Bike Technology: MKS EZY Pedals

MKS EZ PedalsDahon folding bikes are known for their unique fold, which normally involves a folding pedal. Usually made out of plastic, the folding pedal gives the bike its compact form, but can't handle as much pressure as an alloy pedal.

Some of the higher end Dahon folding bicycles are now implementing the MKS EZY Pedals. Using a quick-release sleeve, these alloy pedals are stronger than a plastic folding pedal, and are also easy to remove. Just pull back the sleeve and the pedal pops right off.

Since the MKS EZY Pedals attach to a bicycle crank using the same threading as a standard pedal, they can attach to any bicycle (even non-folding bikes). When the pedal is removed, the coupler stays on the crank, making the final folded size even smaller than a plastic folding pedal.

I've got these MKS quick release pedals on my Dahon folder.  I'm now thinking of getting a second set of couplers for my Trek so I could just move these pedals from bike to bike, like I do the headlight.  Yes, a bike locked up with the pedals safely in my backpack seems more secure to me than one locked up with pedals attached.

Robert said:

I had never even heard of quick release pedals.  Pedals are easy to carry around and have you ever tried to ride your bike with out pedals?? lol.  I have, it's hilarious!

I have never seen an entry on the stolen bike registry for stolen pedals. Lock your frame and wheels, maybe tether your saddle, remove easily detached accessories like lights and computers, don't worry about your pedals.
Kevin, I'm less worried about stolen pedals than I am about a stolen bike.  A bike locked up without pedals becomes difficult for a thief to ride away on, even if he grinds off the U-Lock and chain.

Kevin C said:
I have never seen an entry on the stolen bike registry for stolen pedals. Lock your frame and wheels, maybe tether your saddle, remove easily detached accessories like lights and computers, don't worry about your pedals.

I remember seeing fork locks on bicycles growing up in the Netherlands. Even then they were rare, and mostly a feature on higher-end bikes.

It was an interesting solution indeed, because disabling the lock required destroying, or at least disassembling the fork.

I don't think it caught on. Possible reasons may be: the added cost at a time when bikes have become commodities, combined with difficulty in communicating the value proposition to consumers. It also may require use of a non-standard fork and/or head tube.

Thunder Snow said:

I wonder if putting a disc lock through the chainring and locking it to the downtube would be useful in preventing a thief from pedaling my bike away?  And I wonder why bicycle manufacturers don't provide fork locks as motorcycles do?  When you park a motorcycle, you turn the fork all the way to the left and press in the lock.  That way, even if you try to walk the bike away, you can't straighten the fork, and the bike will just go in left-hand circles.  It seems like it would be useful to bicycle security and the component already exists.

Oops, sorry. Missed that portion of the thread. I would think a lack of pedals would make a bike a less attractive target. I hope they notice it has no pedals before they cut the lock.

Thunder Snow said:
Kevin, I'm less worried about stolen pedals than I am about a stolen bike.  A bike locked up without pedals becomes difficult for a thief to ride away on, even if he grinds off the U-Lock and chain.

The MO of the thieves in the video is to scope out a bike, drop off the grinder guy, drive a block or two away, and the grinder guy rides the bike to the rendezvous point.

In this theft, a few weeks after Angie's, there was someone who witnessed the bike being stolen and followed the grinder to the blue Previa waiting at a gas station about 2 blocks away. He took a pic of the license plate but there wasn't much else he could do.

Wilmette police did witness the Previa's owner cutting a lock and stealing a bike as well, upon their more recent foray into north shore transit stations.

In regard to the idea of a bike without pedals being a less attractive target, I think there is some amount of merit but IMO not worth the effort, as I believe a good chunk of stolen bikes (50%? More?) are tossed right into motor vehicles at the point of theft.)

(sigh) You're probably right.  So now I'm back to square one, trying to electrify my U-Lock with the guts of a Tazer gun on a 15 second time delay.  Or filling the downtube with small explosives, bright pink paint and a cell phone trigger.  :>P

h' said:

I think there is some amount of merit but IMO not worth the effort, as I believe a good chunk of stolen bikes (50%? More?) are tossed right into motor vehicles at the point of theft.)

I can't have a great and unique looking bike or it gets stolen and I don't want to try to make my bike look ugly because my bike is more than just transportation to me.  Sometimes it just seems like I have to roll the dice and gamble where I have the best odds.  

I masking taped the first bike I built to make look ugly and cover identifying marks.  Now I'm building a bike I find beautiful and unique and the closer she gets to completion, the more worried I get that she will be stolen.  *shrug*  Oh well.  It's not going to stop me from riding!  :)

Robert-

If you take a look at the thefts reported to the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry, there are patterns which emerge which make me less worried about being a victim. 35% of the bikes reported were only secured with a cable lock (combination, integrated key lock, or cable and padlock). 20% of the bikes reported weren't locked at all and were stolen from a common area where other people had access or could leave a door unlocked (garage, entryway, basement, back porch). Those two bad practices account for 55% of the thefts reported.

As you have seen from the video in this thread, newer u-locks with flat keys are not the end all and be all, but together with heavy duty bike security chains, they represent the best defense from all but the most determined, and well-equipped bike thieves. (The heavy duty bike chains may actually be better than the u-locks in that they present a less stable target for power tools). Even reports we get where the victim had employed a u-lock include instances of locking to street signs which were removed, locking to a wrought iron fence or wooden beam which was broken or cut, locking to a sapling, or locking the bike only to itself. I don't want to jinx it, but Howard and I both think there are a relatively small number (less than half a dozen?) of professional bike thieves in the City of Chicago who employ angle grinders while plying their trade.

Lock your bike to a secure object, preferably a bike rack or parking meter (which has been left as a courtesy to bicyclists), with a newer u-lock with flat key, a heavy duty security chain, or best of all two of the above, and you will put yourself into a statistical victim class of maybe 15-18%. 

I can't say your feelings are unjustified-- if a thief wants your bike they'll get it.

What I can offer is that we've never had a report to stolenbike.org of a bike locked with 3 U-locks being stolen . . . [nervously checks incoming reports]

Robert said:

I can't have a great and unique looking bike or it gets stolen and I don't want to try to make my bike look ugly because my bike is more than just transportation to me.  Sometimes it just seems like I have to roll the dice and gamble where I have the best odds.  

I masking taped the first bike I built to make look ugly and cover identifying marks.  Now I'm building a bike I find beautiful and unique and the closer she gets to completion, the more worried I get that she will be stolen.  *shrug*  Oh well.  It's not going to stop me from riding!  :)

Kevin, h'

The Chain/lock combo @ the bikeregistry is INCREDIBLE! Add that to 2 U Locks and I'm set!

It's heavy, but with 1 for ea. wheel to connect it to the frame and the chain to connect it to a solid post, it could be easier to hook up and more secure at the same time.  Granted, it would be VERY heavy, but Clementine (my bikes name) is worth it! :)

Possible to coat a U-lock in perforated or pre-shattered glass so it would shower with shards anyone taking a grinder to it? 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service