The Chainlink

Is anyone here religious about not locking to street signs?

I feel like I occasionally see pretty strong language on here about the dangers of locking one's bike to a street sign.

Is anyone here religious about never doing it? I will walk out of my way to lock to a rack, but I become flummoxed when visiting a friend's apartment on a residential street, where bike racks are rare. In those cases I just lock to a stop sign or whatever.

But is anyone here so committed to not doing that that you would walk 2 or more blocks to the nearest bike rack?

Views: 1528

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're not supposed to lock your bike to a CTA sign? Oops.

KayCee said:

I had to lock to a street light the other day- my enormous Abus chain barely made it.  Otherwise I was looking at a tree, a CTA sign (which I've heard are no-nos) a bus stop or a pretty long hike.  Had I seen a decent, solid looking sign, I'd have done it.  First time we were really at a loss.

They have a policy of removing them and putting them in storage, and no functional inventory or claim process.

Emily O said:

You're not supposed to lock your bike to a CTA sign? Oops.

KayCee said:

I had to lock to a street light the other day- my enormous Abus chain barely made it.  Otherwise I was looking at a tree, a CTA sign (which I've heard are no-nos) a bus stop or a pretty long hike.  Had I seen a decent, solid looking sign, I'd have done it.  First time we were really at a loss.

That's good to know; I imagine I have locked my bike to a CTA sign in the past.

How are the street signs that are mounted in grass/dirt secured? Are they just poles sunk straight down or is there some kind of ballast at the bottom? There is one in front of my building that is often convenient to lock to for an hour or two when I don't want to drag the bike up three stories just to drag it back down, and it doesn't seem like you could just pull it up out of the dirt, but maybe that's wrong?

Unfortunately we get reports of signs that are buried in the ground being uprooted to steal bikes (sometimes photos are included...).  Unless you can see a concrete footing poking up above the ground I'd assume there is none.

Eli said:

How are the street signs that are mounted in grass/dirt secured? Are they just poles sunk straight down or is there some kind of ballast at the bottom? There is one in front of my building that is often convenient to lock to for an hour or two when I don't want to drag the bike up three stories just to drag it back down, and it doesn't seem like you could just pull it up out of the dirt, but maybe that's wrong?

Wow, this isn't THE Dan Brown who writes those awful books?!

Yes, I am. I want my bike to be there when I come back and this driving factor leads me to make appropriate decisions about where is best to lock my bike. If it can be unscrewed or cut with bolt cutters, my bike will not be there.

Like those above I try and avoid it. I'll look at how it is secured to the ground. I a paranoid about someone pulling it out and stealing my bike.  Probably only in residential neighborhoods these days can I not find an alternative.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service