The Chainlink

I just noticed this weekend that the storefront on Montrose is for rent. From what I can gather online, it sounds like they got fed up with break-ins. I'm very sad as this was only about a block and a half away from me! I know they still have the store in Wicker Park, but I'm not going to haul down there. Anyone have any other info/suggestions for bike shops in this area?

Views: 3384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shiny happy bike people? ;)

h' 1.0 said:

5600 cycles is the new joint venture between Shining Bikes and Things and Pedal to the People?

I would have had a little more fun with the name....

Pedal to the Shiny People.... Pedal to the People and Things.... Pedal to the Shine...

Kevin C said:

"5600Bikes" is still registered to Robert Vaughters.

Adam, do you know of this "new" shop?

Pedal To The People said:

We will certainly be there for all your cycling needs!

+1. I work near this shop and they are very solid. Always there when I am in a jam. 

Christopher C. said:

Try out Turin bicycles on Damon just south of Lawrence.
Word on the street is that particular shop does some shady business.

dan brown said:

On the Route on Lawerence. great shop. also south of there is roscoe village bikes.

I just moved to bryn mawr / western area and noticed a nice little (**very** locally owned) LBS

on the NW corner of that intersection/ don't go to wicker park !!!! shop local

Super tough when there are bike shops EVERYWHERE. I wonder how that new shop is doing on milwaukee S. of division.  Good luck to them all.

Juan 2-8 mi. said:

I was the only one to pick up their 3 tubes for $10.00 deal in their Wicker Park Location. The impression I got was that they extended themselves a bit in the Albany Park spot and took over the dutch bike shop location that went out of business. The bicycle bizz is very tough.

Re: the shop at Western/Bryn Mawr-- just found this searching for something else:

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/193609

Pedal to the People has nothing to do with 5600Bikes or Shiny Bikes.

h' 1.0 said:

5600 cycles is the new joint venture between Shining Bikes and Things and Pedal to the People?

Pedal to the Shiny People.... Pedal to the People and Things.... Pedal to the Shine...

Kevin C said:

Yes, it was a joke based on the way Adam's advertisement flowed (or didn't flow) from the discussion.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to explain that.

Mike Fiasco said:

Pedal to the People has nothing to do with 5600Bikes or Shiny Bikes.

h' 1.0 said:

Kevin C said:

Back to Iron Cycles, that's a bummer. They weren't as close to my home as some of the other options that have been mentioned here but I did like them the most and took my business there. That seems like a real blow to that stretch of Montrose to lose a business like that.

Yeah, and Albany Park in general. We need some more businesses like that. So many empty storefronts around too.

Perhaps Bikes N' Roses at Lawrence and Kedzie is still providing some kind of service to the Albany park community? 

Thank you Davis. I will take that under advisement.

Davis Moore said:

I didn't get the joke either and was really getting concerned that you were making theft accusations against a shop Pedal to the the People was involved in (and by proxy against Pedal to the People themselves). Your joke simply didn't translate.

I think it would be a stand up thing to do to delete it before other people get misinformed or confused. Some people with short attention spans won't make it to the clarification on the second page. Pedal to the People and Adam are rock solid people who don't need the grief.

+2 on Turin, a wonderful shop! But if you want to stay on Montrose (just further east), I also highly recommend Green Machine Cycles at 1634 W. Montrose. New store dedicated to sustainability and specializing in cargo/touring, but will do work on any bikes. 

Bonus is there are Divvy stations across the street from each of these if you need to drop your bike off for service!

I'll miss Iron Cycles, too. Bought my gorgeous Surly there. Those guys were great. Best of luck to all of them!

EssFresh said:

+1. I work near this shop and they are very solid. Always there when I am in a jam. 

Christopher C. said:

Try out Turin bicycles on Damon just south of Lawrence.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service